Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Tacoma: How can I check my inner tie rods to see if they need

How can I check my...
How can I check my inner tie rods to see if they need to be replaced?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2013
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Toyota Service :

Hello. Thank you for your question. Please allow me to discuss your request in detail; thanks

Toyota Service :

Do you have the ability to safely raise the vehicle off off the ground and get under the vehicle?

Customer:

Yes

Toyota Service :

Excellent

Toyota Service :

Here is what you do:

Toyota Service :

Raise the vehicle. getting all of the weight off of the front tires

Toyota Service :

Have an assistant hold one tire steady (to keep it from moving)

Toyota Service :

Move the other tire (like trying to turn it); see if there is some looseness as you move the tire left to right

Toyota Service :

If so, get under the vehicle and have your assistant move the tire while your hold the tie rod; look for a loose feeling as the tire moves

Toyota Service :

If your feel looseness, the inner rod needs replaced

Toyota Service :

If the inner rods are OK, there should not be any looseness as your move the wheel back and forth

Customer:

Ok, I should not be able to move one of the tires when my friend holds the other one still then?

Toyota Service :

correct; the tire should feel tight and when you move your side, no movemnet, the other tire should move as you move your side equally

Toyota Service :

no "free play"

Customer:

Got it. I had a mechanic (non-toyota) tell me the inner tie rod ends were loose and would need to be replaced soon. A toyota mechanic told me it was "normal play" for a 2004 Tacoma

Toyota Service :

Looseness = replace.

Toyota Service :

Should be tight. A little teeny bit (cause it has to move), but not 1/8" or so

Customer:

Okay, that helps alot. Thanks

Toyota Service :

If you replace the rods, a front end alignment is really a good idea

Toyota Service :

dont do them without an alignment

Customer:

Yes

Toyota Service :

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer for assistance. It was a pleasure to assist you.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert