Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Avalon: 1997 Toyota Avalon.How can I turn off the airbag

Customer Question
1997 Toyota Avalon. How can I...
1997 Toyota Avalon.
How can I turn off the airbag light? it hasn't had any airbags deployed but the light is on.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Toyota
5/16/2013
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 4 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

There is a method to clear the light, and I'll provide it below. However, when the Air Bag light is on, this is a problem in the restraint system. This can be anything from and Impact Sensor, to a problem with the Seat Belts, and anything in between. So it's not a light on because a bag has deplyoed, but it is on because there is a problem (faulty part/sensor) in the system. The best place to start, is to have the diagnostic trouble codes retrieved from the on-board computer. These codes will serve as the starting point for the diagnosis, and will point to the faulty part/sensor. You can then make a more accurate diagnose, and make the correct repair, the first time. There isn't a mechanic on the planet that can look at the light, and say "oh... it's this". Every mechanics first step will be to retrieve those codes. It's just the correct flow of procedure. Some local parts stores, like AutoZone, will read these codes for Free (except in California), but not all will have the appropriate scan-tool. If you cannot find a location that has the appropriate scan-tool to read the codes, you will need to bring it to a shop to have the codes retrieved. Unfortunately, I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but there needs to be a diagnostic process. There is absolutely no way to "guess" at what the problem is, and be correct. And replacing parts at random, based on a "guess", will get frustrating and expensive very quicky.

Here is the procedure to reset the light. If the light returns, there is a faulty part/sensor in the system and we'll need those diagnostic codes to proceed and determine how to fix the problem.

graphic
  1. -Connect the 2 service wires to terminals Tc and AB of DLC 1.
  2. -Turn the ignition switch to ACC or ON and wait approx. 6 seconds .
  3. -Starting with the Tc terminal, apply body ground alternately to terminal Tc and terminal AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 seconds . Confirm that body ground is absolute. Finally, keep applying body ground to terminal Tc.

HINT: When alternately grounding terminals Tc and AB, release ground from one terminal and immediately apply it to the other terminal within an interval of 0.2 second . If DTC do not clear, repeat the above procedure until the codes are cleared.

1. -Several seconds after performing the clearing procedure, the SRS warning light will blink in a 50 m sec . cycle to indicate the codes have been cleared.

Hello again! Ron Z here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Confused by my info request or answer?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?
~ Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thank-you! If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you, just bookmark this page so you can access my profile more easily and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been very busy.
When I followed the procedure I did not get the light to go off, I did count the flashes of the light and assume it is the trouble code? It would flash 5 times pause and then 3 times, does that tell us anything? I did the procedure several times so I feel pretty confident that I was doing it right.
The reason the code did not clear is because there is a current and continuous problem. If the problem were intermittent or had corrected itself, the code would have cleared. While the current problem is active, the code will not clear. The problem at hand will need to be addressed and repaired before the light will go out.

Yes, the flashes were codes. You did it correctly! The code 53 is pointing to a fault in the Air Bag Circuit. There are some test that should be done to pinpoint the actual root of the problem. A very common fail item associated with this code is a faulty Clockspring assembly. But again, tests should be done. If you have some repair experience, I can provide a few test procedures for you. It will require the use of an Ohms meter, volt meter and/or test lamp.

graphic
graphic
I do have the experience and the test equipment. What are the tests?
I've wrapped up the test procedure into a PDF file for easier viewing/printing. Download the PDF file HERE

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE MY SERVICE. Thank-you!
(Rating my answer does NOT close this thread - follow-up questions are always Free! Even after you Rate!)

Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Hello Ron, I'm a really busy person so it may take a few days before I get to the testing.
Thank you for your help so far.
No problem! Take your time! Just keep me in mind and let me know how you make out. You will receive reminder emails to rate the answer- these are automated! I'm sorry! I have no control over it! Rate the answer when you feel you are ready...
OK
Thanks!
You're welcome
LOL! Ok. Get back to me when you can. No need to reply. I have to end the thread or the question pops back into my board and I cannot continue on until I have replied! LOL! I'll tak you you again soon...
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE MY ANSWER to compensate me for my time and services. Thank-you!
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z

Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z

(Rating my answer does NOT close this thread - follow-up questions are always Free! Even after you Rate! You can always change your rating at a later time!)

Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z

Sorry Ron, OK, so I started testing with the information you gave me, not sure of some of the terminology but I get most of it. On test #2 it's looking for 1Mohms or higher, when I put the test probes on the connector I get the same reading as I do when I touch the probes together, is this saying that the two wires are touching somewhere?

Correct. This means there is a problem in the wire harness that will need to be repaired. If you cannot find any problems in the wiring, the fault is more than likely located internal of the "spiral cable" (aka Clocksrping Assembly) and it will need to be replaced.

I thought we were working on the passenger bag? The test was between the passenger air bag connector and the air bag sensor with both of them disconnected.

My apologies! It's been so long since we've talked, I forgot where we left off! After re-reading our convo, I'm back on track.

Ok. Correct. There's a problem in the harness between the Sensor Assembly and the Passenger's side air bag. Here's a view:
graphic

So the two wires between the passenger bag and sensor are touching somewhere? Correct? this could be hard to find.

Yep. Not "could be hard to find" -- "WILL" be hard to find. I absolutely hate chasing down electrical problems. I usually outsource it. I don't envy you one bit. Best bet MAY be to start at the Assembly, and work towards the dash. Never know, you may get lucky very early!

OK, so I didn't get lucky in the hunt. After searching from both ends for a ways I found nothing, I wasn't going to take out the entire dash to find the problem so I decided to go around it. I cut the black and white wires between the air bag and the sensor and ran new wires, they were the same color, I soldered them and covered them with heat shrink and completely wrapped them with yellow tape from end to end.

Now I can't seem to clear the codes, originally I had a code 53, I borrowed a Snap On scanner from a friend of mine and could not get it to read the codes so while I was there I induced a couple other codes, so now I have three different codes and cannot get them to clear with his scanner or the way you had me try with the Tc and AB terminals.

What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately, I think we are getting a little over my head with the repairs you have made and the way you have done it. Without actually "seeing" it, it's going to be impossible for me to help any further. Sorry. At this point, you're best bet may be to start a new thread describing what has happened and see if there is another Tech that can assist you. Seeing as you never rated this answer, you can just let it run out. No harm done. Seeing as I did not help solve the problem, I don't expect to be paid for it.

I just want to be sure I'm doing the procedure correctly to clear the codes.

I alternate connecting Tc and AB to ground for approximately 1 second each, repeat and the third time just connect Tc and leave connected and this is suppose to clear the codes? How long should it take?

What does SST stand for?

I think we're close.

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -