Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota Highlander: 2002 toyota highlander rear seat passenger

2002 toyota highlander rear seat passenger side seat belt does not spring back....can anything be done to repair or does it have to be replaced?

ted ritter :

Hello, welcome to just answer
Can the seat belt be pulled out and then retract slowly but not all the way back or is it stuck?

Customer:

seat belt is pulled out all the way and does not retract at all......it is not stuck

ted ritter :

Thanks for the reply, when trying to feed it back in does it go back in a little ways?

Customer:

It seems to yes

Customer:

and when i pull on it i can hear it spring back a little but it does not retract any belt

ted ritter :

Ok, what I have done in the past is apply some dry silicone spray to the belt on both sides, you can get it at most autoparts and hardware stores, do not use a petroleum based lubricant like WD 40, it has to be dry type silicon spray, lubricate both sides of the belt and pull it and let it retract, keep doing this until it retracts back all the way in without help.

ted ritter :

Due to safety concerns there are no parts available for the retractor mechanism, if this remedy does not help the belt assembly has to be replaced.

Customer:

but i think that when i try to feed it back it does not feel like it is retracting it just seems like i am just pushing it in

ted ritter :

I understand, then there is a problem with the retractor, I'm afraid the belt assembly has to be replaced.

Customer:

ok.......is this an expensive job to get done and would you take this in to your auto mechanic to get it done or someone else

Customer:

i will try the silicone spray but the other problem is that it seems like the retractor mechanism is near the bottom close to the floor and the first exposure of the belt is towards the roof.....don't think silicone spray will reach the retractor mechanism.....or am i not understanding something?

ted ritter :

the labor rate at the dealer is about one hour or about $90-100, the most expense is the part itself and it has to be from the dealer, due to safety regulations, not sure on the price, I think around $240
The reason I recommended the silicon spray is the a lot of times the belt gets hung up in that guide piece attached at the top of the side panel

Customer:

Thanks Ted. I will try the silicone spray. If it does not work I will proceed to my Toyota mechanic. Thanks again for assisting me with this. Have a good day!

ted ritter :

You're very welcome, best of luck.

ted ritter :

A rating on the positive side will be very much appreciated, thanks.