Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

toyota corolla: 1990 toyota corolla. A/C not blowing cold,

1990 toyota corolla. A/C not...
1990 toyota corolla. A/C not blowing cold, compressor clutch not engaging. Bought the car a month ago and A/C needed to be recharged, so I did that, and it took the freon in. A/C stopped blowing cold the other day so I assumed there was a leak, tried putting super seal in + freon this time and it wouldn't take any of it. Pressure shot up to 800psi whenever I open the valve for the freon so I'm sure there isn't a leak, the clutch just isn't engaging. It's not locked up bc I can spin it with my hand. I've tried replacing the "AC MG" relay but that didn't work. Any help please?
5/5/2013
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

I'm very sorry about the delays. I will do my best to help.

AMD :

Now if I may ask, When you turn the a\c on, does the cooling fans come on?

AMD :

Also do you have a multimeter handy?

Customer:

I'm not sure how to tell if the cooling fans are on or not. the a/c is blowing air, but it's not cold. and I don't have a multimeter, all I have is a tester to see if a wire is hot or not with the handle glowing.

AMD :

Hello

AMD :

Well when you turn the a\c on, open the hood and look at the cooling fans on the radiator. Do they come on?

AMD :

Also there's a wire that goes to the compressor. Remove that wire and put your tester on it with the a\c turned on. Does the light turn on?

Customer:

the cooling fan on the radiator isn't turning with the ac on

AMD :

OK Then test the wire to the compressor.

AMD :

If that wire gets power when the a\c is turned on then the compressor clutch is the issue.

Customer:

i have to unplug the wire going to the compressor? im not sure if I'll be able to plug it back in because I wont be able to see it

AMD :

Well this is a necessary test to determine if the compressor is good or not.

AMD :

Let's do another test before the compressor

Customer:

my wire tester thing is pointed like a pick, can i jst poke it into the wire with it plugged in still?

AMD :

Well if you decide to do that you must shield the now open insulation very well to prevent issues in the future

Customer:

it's almost 11 pm i need to get to bed can we figure this out tomorrow?

AMD :

Yes of course! We'll continue tomorrow. When you are online replay to he chat and I will come online and we'll talk

Customer:

k thank you!

AMD :

You're welcome. have a good night

Customer:

you too

AMD :

Thank you

Customer:

So I'm gonna have to unplug the compressor and what, stick the pick tester in one of the pin holes?

Customer:

I think i'm jst gna splize the wire open near the top, check if its hot, and then heat shrink it

AMD :

Hello. Yes opening the wire then head shrinking it also works if it's hard to get to the compressor

Customer:

okay well my girlfriend took her car to work so i'll have to wait til she gets back to check

Customer:

so if there IS power in the line, then the compressor CLUTCH is the issue and not the compressor itself...that makes sense

Customer:

what about if there is no power in the line?

AMD :

Yes it could be an electrical issue

AMD :

If there's no power in the line then well apply power to the wire to make sure out compressor clicks on

AMD :

Let me pull my diagram here so we can talk about what to do if there's no power and the compressor comes on if you apply power

Customer:

whats weird was it was working fine for a month or so....and then it all of a sudden stopped working. i didn't change anything, or mopve anything so i dnt see how a short could have popped up

AMD :

Well I have seen them open up like that before that's why I would check that first.

AMD :

I need to know if the vehicle has a 4A-GE or FE engine

Customer:

ill have to check when my gf gets back, i believe fe though

AMD :

OK Let's get together again when the vehicle is back and we've checked the wire to the compressor clutch

Customer:

sounds good

AMD :

Thank you

Customer:

Hey so I ran the car, turned the ac on...using my little pick tester, I punctured a little hole in the wire that runs down to the compressor

Customer:

and the handle didn't glow

Customer:

I'n sure the tip of my tester was touching the bare wire and the ground clip was connected to the chassis

AMD :

OK I See. Thank you for testing it. Did you apply power to make sure the compressor comes on?

Customer:

no i dont know how to do that

Customer:

and i have a 4A-FE engine

AMD :

well the same wire that you tested for power apply power from the positive battery terminal to it and see if the compressor clicks in

Customer:

if by apply power you mean hit the a/c button, yeah i did. i put my pick tester thing into the wire while it was 'on'

Customer:

how am i supposed to do that?

AMD :

Use a long wire to supply power to the wire that you pinched to test for power while it's connected. With the engine running you'll see if the compressor cycles on or not

Customer:

damn i dont have any long wire or anything lol

Customer:

i dnt even have gator clips..

AMD :

OK that's fine. Let's test a few more things here.

AMD :

Does your car has an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer:

auto

Customer:

it doens't idle up when i hit the a/c button also

AMD :

OK I See and I think I know why. Now there's a switch on the radiator towards the passenger side if I remember correctly

Customer:

when i tried to recharge it because I thought it was low on freon....the pressure on the gauge shot up to like...900psi as soon as I opened the valve to let the new freon in

Customer:

idk if that has anything to do with it but I'm just giving you all the info I can to help

AMD :

OK I See. Now can you locate a switch on the passenger side of the radiator?

Customer:

let me go check

Customer:

what about this switch?

AMD :

When you find the switch, disconnect the connector on it then tell me the wire colors that the 2 wires on it are to make sure we are looking at the right one

Customer:

pink and black

Customer:

and on the other side of the connector its white/black and black going down to the bottom of the radiator...maybe the condensor

AMD :

pink and black Sounds about right put a jumper wire between these two, then start the engine and turn the a\c on. does the compressor come on? Then there's another switch that i'd like you to test if this one doesn't do the trick.

Customer:

so disconnect the connector...and put like a paperclip connecting the two holes and then start the car? do i have to disconnect the battery before i disconnect the connector?

AMD :

Yes. no need to disconnect the battery just disconnect it and put a paper clip in the holes to make a connection between them

Customer:

alright let me try that right now

AMD :

OK

Customer:

i did it and the clutch still doesnt engage

AMD :

OK Let's test the 2nd switch. connect this connector back and then on the passenger side of the engine compartment right by the passenger side fender tower, there's a switch on an a\c line with 2 wires on it. Find it and tell me the wire colors to make sure that we have the right one

Customer:

i see two connectors

Customer:

one that has a green and green/black wires

Customer:

and another that has pink and red/blue wire

AMD :

The one with the pink and red\blue wire is the one we want. Again disconnect it and jump the two wires using a paper clip make sure you have connected the other connector on the radiator and that you have made good connections using the paper clip.

AMD :

start the car and turn the a\c on, does it come on?

Customer:

that did it

Customer:

idled up and clutch engaged

AMD :

OK Replace that switch. In order to replace the switch you will need to evacuate the system. So stop by a local shop, have them evacuate the system. then once the switch is replaced have them recharged the system to exactly the correct amount of charge because using a can method to charge is actually dangerous and harmful to the system.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

what do you mean replace the switch

Customer:

i have to cut off the switch, buy a new one and re wire it?

Customer:

i cut off the part where i plugged the paperclip into?

AMD :

No, the part that the connector plugs into needs to be replaced.

AMD :

is it making sense?

Customer:

or the other part that plugs into that connector

AMD :

Yes the other part that the connector plugs into

Customer:

do you know where i can buy it? im pretty sure autozone or oreillys wont stock it

Customer:

and what is the switch called?

AMD :

The switch is called a dual pressure switch. Most parts stores will stock it. Let me see if you can find it online hold on

Customer:

if you can link me a website for the part specifically that'd be best man because im looking online and can't find it myself

Customer:

i see a/c pressure switch but thats it

AMD :

OK give me a few moments I'm working on it.

AMD :

Hello are you still there?

AMD :

Click HERE to buy the switch, it's 15 dollars plus shipping

AMD :

Customer:

so i unscrew that switch from the a/c line

Customer:

screw in the new one and connect it

AMD :

First you evacuate the pressure from the system otherwise it will blow up from pressure be careful.

Customer:

but before i unscrew the old one i need to evacuate the system..

Customer:

how much does it cost to evacuate

Customer:

typically

AMD :

then take out the switch and connect the new one in reconnect it and recharge the system.

AMD :

Typically it costs around 100 dollars or less to evacuate then leak test to make sure everything is good then recharge.

AMD :

I would talk to a shop, tell them I am replacing some parts of the a\c system, I want you evacuate them I will take the car and bring it back for the recharge.

AMD :

It's very important to recharge it correctly with the correct amount.

AMD :

Customer:

no

Customer:

thank you

AMD :

You're welcome A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

thank you for using justanswer.com

AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified

Hey, the pressure switch that you linked me to is a high pressure switch and not the dual pressure switch that I need. I can't find it online, can you help me find it?

Sorry for the delay and sorry for the part issue.

Click HERE to get the other switch
AMD
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified