Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

toyota 4 runner limited: Flashing light on smart key remote

Flashing light on smart key remote in upper right corner for Toyota 2010 4 runner limited
Thank you for trusting us with your questions. How often does the light flash? What kind of time interval between flashes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only noticed it once a few days ago and then today after I stopped car I noticed it flashed for about 1 minute then stopped

How fast was it flashing? Have you replaced the battery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hard to say-maybe every 1/4 of a second-battery checked and is still good

How was the battery checked? If it was just checked for voltage using a voltmeter that is insufficient. The battery voltage needs to be checked during operation. The service manual gives a method for doing this, but its kind of a real pain. So, if in doubt most people simply change the remote battery because they are so inexpensive. When you see the light flashing, how close are you to the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
New battery
Key was in car
Ok, with the key in the car, your vehicle and key will continue to communicate for some time. When this happens, the light will sporadically flash. After a period of time, this process will slow down so the vehicle battery and the fob battery don't get depleted. From what you've told me, it sounds like this is normal operation.