Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1997 mazda 626 2.0 engine, check engine light on, scanning…

1997 mazda 626 2.0 engine...
1997 mazda 626 2.0 engine, check engine light on, scanning it gives either EGR valve or Map sensor. Replacing the Map sensor with other used ones the light goes out but the RPM go crazy. With the MAP sensor that the light stays on the RPM get better but when cold it starts at 2200, 5 minutes later at 1500 and after along wait under 1000 all in neutral, but the under 1000 is not always steady.
4/10/2013
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
KALAMYKID :

Welcome back. Do you by chance know that the code was so I can look it up and see what we need to be looking at to solve this problem?

KALAMYKID :

I am sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I had a few things thti had to take care of in the shop, and just found where you had posed this question.

Customer:

I don't have a code reader but Auto zone said it needs a MAP sensor along with another independent shop.

Customer:

PEP Boys said EGR valve. can this help?

KALAMYKID :

The code would be better, but we can work with this.

KALAMYKID :

DO you know if you have a dl,ex or lx 626? If you do not know can you post the vin number so I can look this up for you?

Customer:

It is LX 626 2.0

Customer:

Hi Kalamykid any news on the mazda?

KALAMYKID :

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, yesterday was my bday and my friends kidnapped me. Can you give me a time when you will be able to be online so we can go over a few things? Can you be online and near the mazda?

Customer:

Hi I am here now. Drop me a line.

KALAMYKID :

Are you ready?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I am here and guess what on the way to the shop to get the codes the light disappeared.

Customer:

The RPM situation is still there.

Customer:

When you find something out, drop me a line.

KALAMYKID :

Where you able to pull the codes? Even if the light goes out, the codes should stay stored in the pcm.

Customer:

No codes showed up on the scanner

KALAMYKID :

With the symptoms you are describing, the first thing I would do would be to pull the valve cover and check the timing belt and timing marks. If one of the cams has jumped even one tooth, the idle would be unstable.

KALAMYKID :

If the egr valve was the problem, then you would have a low idle and the engine would miss like crazy, that is if the egr valve was hung open. If it does not open at all, then you would not notice anything but the ecm would have a code stored for the egr valve or egr position sensor.

Customer:

The cams are on time.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech