Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

2009: 2009 Avalon radio spitting / hissing. Did not do it until

2009 Avalon radio spitting / hissing. Did not do it until recently

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

Dj :

If the radio only makes the hissing sound on AM or FM, the most likely cause is a disconnected antenna or a faulty antenna.

Dj :

If the sound comes through even with a CD playing, then it's a problem with the tuner or the wiring to the tuner.

Dj :

If the sound is related to engine speed, then it's likely to be a suppressor that's failing under the hood.

Dj :

These are the most common causes of this. Rarely we find something else but that's about 2% of the time.

Dj :

Is this something that you intend to fix yourself or will you be taking it to a shop that you trust?

Dj :

DJ

Customer:

I am getting a signal but also heavy hissing interference. CD is perfect.

Customer:

How easy is it to get to the antenna to see fit is unplugged. And where is the antenna (rear windshield???)

The expert you have been working with is currently offline. I will be happy to help. Do you feel comfortable doing some interior trim disassembly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Remove the C pillar trim on the right side of the vehicle. The antenna is built into the window, but there is an amplifier between the radio and the antenna. Go here to download a picture showing its location.
http://db.tt/WRuvKBmi

Check the cables going to the amplifier really well. They are known to come loose and cause a poor connection.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How does the C pillar trim come off?. Do I put a screwdriver under the edge and ease it off...? Is it held on with poppers? I don't want to damage the trim.

There are 4 clips. 3 pop straight out and the fourth the cover pulls forward off of it. Here is a link for a picture

http://db.tt/P7HKfkVv
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The panel is trapped by the rear windowsill. I am afraid of pulling too hard. Are these poppers strong?

BTW the interference seems worse with the engine turned on.......

Sorry for the delays, I have been offline. There are tabs on the bottom of the trim that go into the package tray, but not along the window. Once you pull out and release the clips, pull it towards the front of the vehicle to remove.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician