scott
scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Bumper to bumper technician24 years Bumper to bumper technician all makes
12331040

Sequoia: My 2006 Toyota Sequoia, the malfunction indicator

My 2006 Toyota Sequoia, the malfunction indicator light came on as well as trac off and vsc off, this happened last night. 4 days ago my heat started not working most of the time. we have 5 Toyota's and are sold on Toyota most of the time! ( 2001 Tundra, 2010 Tundra, 1998 Celica, 2009 XRS Corolla and the Sequoia)

scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

scott :

The VSC lamp will normally lite when the MIL is on due to a set code. What we will need to do is find out what the code is. Do you have a way, other than going to a parts store for a complementary code read to get the code?

scott :

The other thing that comes to mind, is coolant level. The intermittent heat issue, makes me wonder if the coolant might be low, and this will also set the MIL.

When checking the coolant, check it engine COOL at the radiator fill. Never trust the overflow.

Customer:

What does set code mean and no I usually take the vehicles to the Toyota dealership

Customer:

I will ck the coolant level and then to reset the lights do I have to disconnect the battery? THese vehicles use the neww coolant, correct?

Customer:

Maybe there is a coolant leak? I did see a small spot of an unknown liquid(too small to identify) on the concrete where I park.

scott :

Ypu will want to use the Toyota Approved coolant. It is kind of a purple color.

scott :

As far as "Set Code" I am asking for what codes were set to turn on the Light.

scott :

Are you able to extract a code for me?

Customer:

no how would I do that?

Customer:

A dealership is the only one to do that or auto zone? auto supply store?

Customer:

Is the code something I can extract and how?

Customer:

I will run into town to see if I can get the code at the parts store and then let you know

Customer:

It will be a while, will get back to ya

scott :

auto zone or a auto supply store can usually help on Sundays for a code extract. They normally do not use a scanner, but a code reader It is O.K. but not manufacturer specific at times.

scott :

I will be here, but be sure you have enough coolant in the engine, and check it cool, not hot, as you do not want to get burned.

Customer:

The code says a coolant issue, and yes we filled it up and all is good but the malfunction should show sooner that when it is so low. Toyota always does the oil change and so I am irritated because it is a very slow leak and cob webs in the overflo, even though they say they ck the fluids it looks like they don't. urrrr Thanks for your help!! The coolant was almost empty and we did use the correct coolant..Thanks again

scott :

Great... as in I am glad you found the issue.

scott :

Now, remember, Coolant Does NOT evaporate. It went some place

scott :

I recommend a cooling system pressure test so the leak can be identified. Also, if you wish to do a visual, a white, crusty residue will be left behind. Look around hoses where they are clamped and around the radiator.

scott :

I would then copy this chat and your reciepts, and take to the shop that has been responsible for your service. The manager would be the best place to start.

scott :

Let me thank you in advance for your accept and your positive rating of my performance.

If you have anymore questions on this issue, or want to discuss the outcome of your "Visit to the shop" continue to use this link.