Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

toyota celica gt: how can I fix miss fire on toyota celica

how can I fix miss...
how can I fix miss fire on toyota celica gt 2000 I have no spark on cilinder # XXXXX and 4 but ignition coil are ok all 4
11/12/2012
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Hello!

Are you saying that cylinders two and four have no spark but the ignition coils have power going to them with the engine running?

Are there any codes in the computer?

cranks but does not starts up

Ok.. have you checked engine compression?

Can you check for power going to the ignition coils with the engine cranking over?

yes each cylinder has two hundred pounds and i checked the sparks by puting the spark plugs on ground but i have no sparks on 2 and 4

So your saying that all coils have power to them correct?

Do they have a ground signal trigger while cranking the engine over?

If you swap coils, do the coils on cylinder 2 and 4 start working if you install them on the other cylinders?

Yes, when i put the number 2 and 4 on number 1 and 3 it works fine, im sure the four coils are ok but the power thats coming from the connectors from the wireing 2 and 4 are no good, what do you think what can be the problem

salvador,

If your saying there is no power to ignition coils 2 and 4, then you just have a wiring issue from the black wire between the IG2 relay and those two ignition coils

But if your saying that they has power but the computer is not grounding them to tell them when to fire the spark, then this would be a computer related issue. The valve timing could be off (timing belt) or the crank sensor could be bad. I have seen a bad trigger wheel that the crankshaft position sensor reads causing this no spark condition on certain cylinders if it is damaged. However, if the coils have power and the crank sensor signal to the PCM is good when cranking the engine over, I have a feeling the PCM is bad and needs to be replaced.

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you today.

The question WILL NOT close. We will still be able to continue this conversation if you have any further questions after you rate my answer.

Please take a moment to get familiar with our new rating system. This is very important and this affects me greatly. There are 5 ratings that are listed below. Please rate my service as number 5 "Great service" or "Excellent service" for providing you timely accurate information specific to your vehicle or use the reply button to continue the conversation.

1) Bad service--------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

2) Poor service-------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

3) Ok service----------------Pays me and means you had an "OK" experience

4) Good Service------------Pays me and means you had a positive experience

5) Excellent service--------Pays me and means you had an Excellent experience

Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply by using the "CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION" button.

Best Regards

I replaced the crank shaft and cam shaft sensors already and i know maybe im ok at that point, but im thinking about the computer because i see the price and its like around $1,300 .

Honestly, even though the compression is ok, I would still pull the front timing cover and look at the timing marks.

If the valve timing is in fact good, I would suspect a bad PCM.

I hope this helps!

Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today.

Best Regards
<br/Customer
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician

Thank you for your help. Do you know if the PCM can be repaired ?

Hello!

I believe some can and some cannot depending on what went wrong with the computer.

I would try the following place. You can send in your computer to get checked and fix it if needed. I have not used them myself, but I have heard good things about them.

Here is the link

http://aesmodules.com/

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician