Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota Avalon: We have a 2011 Toyota Avalon. We like the car…

We have a 2011 Toyota...
We have a 2011 Toyota Avalon. We like the car a lot. But, with only 25,000 miles on the car the set of Michelin tires have worn (I'm told) on the tread edges so the tires are extremely noisy on all road surfaces - - tread wear is OK and would not require replacement. They have been rotated as required and the alignment was checked, and minor adjustment made by the Dealer. I've owned many cars - - and never had this problem!
Can anyone provide a possible reason for this?
Thanks,
Ken
10/20/2012
I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician

Hello.....the most common cause of tire cupping (uneven thread ,inside and outside of the tire thread ) is from weak struts or shocks (struts on your vehicle).

Once the vehicle is under the warranty ,the dealer should give you at no cost ,4 new tires and replace your strut all the way around (4 struts)

There is a way to fix the cupping on the tires but you have warranty on it, should get it fixed right for free.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Thank You - - I will return to the Dealer again with your answer. Stay tuned.

Ken

Ok, let me know.

Positive rate is always welcome.

Thank you

Took the car into the Toyota Dealer - - didn't really expect to find a problem with the "Struts" since the car is less than 2 years old, and only has 25,000 miles on it. Service manager put the car upon a hoist and we inspected the struts - - they looked fine. Explanation for the tire wear (by the Service Manager) is that Toyota delivers the car with lower cost "softer" tires for initial ride and performance. Expected tread life is 20K to 40K miles.

His recommendation is to replace the tires (I plan to within the next 12 months) with a higher mileage (better tire). He gave some recommendations.

I don't know if your recommendation was worth what I paid, or not?

Ken

Hello...they really are weak tires but the thread should be wearing even ,i do have a customer with 37 k miles and the tires are bold (even bold) , so in your case there is definitely a problem and like i said the most common is the weak struts.

Have you try to get a second opinion.... why are your tires wearing out like that ? try an independent shop.

I don't know how much you paid ,the tech only gets paid you give him a positive

rate.

If you are not happy with my answer ,please do not rate it and contact the customer service for your money back.

Thank you.

How do I contact "customer service"?

Ken

Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Ken-
Different expert here, th other guy opted out.
Which size wheels and tires do you have on this car? There were a couple different packages on the2011 avalon and some had port installed 18 inch wheels as well. Can you tell me the exact tire size and which michelin you have please? (Harmony, mxv4, s8, hxmxm4)?

The car has 17" wheels - - tires are P215/55R17 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8.

Ken

ok, thanks. This is the base line michelin for the avalon and the camry. This tire actually only has a read wear rating of 440.....the tire is rated for 30,000 miles. So this is not a "problem" with the car you just are nearing the useful end of the tires. On some of the camrys with smaller less powerful engines I am seeing closer to around 45,000 miles on these same tires but the avalon weighs a lot more and has a much more powerful engine so typically it's around 30,000 miles that I am seeing 3-4/32 tread remaining on the avalon s8 michelins.
If you want to put another michelin on this car that holds true to the michelin ride quality and wet traction standards then the Michelin DEFENDER tires is a upgrade from the tire you have now. The tread wear rating on these tires is an 820 (60,000 mile tire) and it is an all season tire as well aside from being cheaper then the s8 that is on there currently.
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech