Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Camry LE: Ivan, where do I place my floor jack to raise

Customer Question
Ivan, where do I place...
Ivan, where do I place my floor jack to raise my Camry? Using the pinch seams means bending. If I use the jacking point I have nowhere to place my jack stands. Installed new ball joints, upper control arm, and outer tie rod ends. All are greasable. Can I drive on these to get them to an oil change place or should I grease them myself? What type of grease?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/4/2012
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 5 years ago
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

Ivan :

In the front, look deep towards the center of the car and you will see 2 frame rails near the center. You can jack it from there close to the front of that frame rail.

Ivan :

For the back, their may be an area near the center of the rear control arms that you can lift it in the back

Customer :

Would you recommend I pad the jack cup also?

Ivan :

For the suspension pieces, grease them yourself. Use a grease gun and use either a cartridge of front end grease, Red and Tacky is a good one, but any that say good for front ends will be ok. I would pad it, it helps keep the car untouched.

Customer :

I can see the rails. They look rectangular in shape. I have a good grease gun with grease in it that I use on my riding lawnmowers. I'll have to see what type of grease it is.

Ivan :

That will work fine. Use that grease, and yes those are the rails

Customer :

I thought I might be making a mistake to use those rails. Wasn't sure if it would foul up the unibody construction.

Ivan :

Those are very solid lifting points, as long as you stay towards the forward portion of the rail

Customer :

I took it out for a test drive today. I still have a subtle pop when I turn the steering wheel ever so slightly. Actually, more like a subtle thump. I hear it when I'm standing still. I'm thinking I didn't get quite enough torque on the outer tie rod. Seems like more the culprit than the upper control arm or ball joint.

Ivan :

After you get the grease into it see where you stand. Also go over everything and tweak them to snug them a little tighter.

Customer :

I think I used the lower end of the Haynes torque recommendations too. It gave me a lot of latitude in the high and low range.

Ivan :

Yes, slide up to that higher spec. That will put you in good shape

Customer :

OK, can I get back to you in a few days in case I still have a question. I took Friday off to play with this.

Ivan :

Absolutely, let me know how things work out.

Customer :

Thanks.

Ivan :

You are welcome

Ivan
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician