Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

How much for a rack and pinion replacement on a Toyota Sienna?

What would be a reasonable...
What would be a reasonable cost for the replacement for a toyota sienna rack and pinion replacement?
5/23/2012
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Ok, labor time to replace the rack and pinion is 3.6 hours, which at avg labor rates of around $100 per hour will be about $360.

A rack and pinion for yours cost $891 for new from Toyota. A remanufactured aftermarket rack and pinion runs $560.

So, for new part, about $1251 plus tax

For a remanufactured unit, about $920 plus tax

So, for new part, about $1251 plus tax

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Is it possible to repair the one on the car? It is leaking.

HI,

They can be overhauled, but it still requires removing the rack and pinion. And then it has to be completely disassembled to replace the inner seals to repair leak.

Labor to remove the rack and overhaul it is 6.3 hours, which will be about $630 for labor. Overhaul kit runs $120.

Total will be about $750, which would save a little over the price of a remanufactured one. The only real problem you will have is finding a shop willing to do this. Most techs dont overhaul them any more as it does require speciality tools that run about $300 and they just dont pay for themselves as you dont encounter enough Sienna rack and pinions as a tech to warrant purchasing these tools.

If you want to do this route, you will need to call around to shops to find one that has a tech that can overhaul the rack and pinion.

The one on you van can be overhauled, but it still requires removing the rack and pinion. And then it has to be completely disassembled to replace the inner seals to repair leak.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
featured content

More about rack and pinion replacement cost

A pinion is one of the most common components of a steering mechanism on modern vehicles. The racks are located within the metal tubing used in the steering mechanism; the rack hangs out of either side of the metal tubing.

The cost of replacing the rack and pinion varies by vehicle and location, as well as if you replace it yourself or take it to a shop. Replacing yourself costs around $100 - $400 depending on your vehicle.

If you choose to take it to a shop to be replaced the cost will be higher and run anywhere from $400 - $1600, this varies based on the vehicle, and the length of time the replacement takes.

Signs the rack and pinion needs replaced

• Steering the vehicle feels different when turning right or left
  • Jerky steering
  • Steering becomes noisy when turning or going over bumps in the road
  • If the rack and pinion completely fails it can cause the steering to stop working completely

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager