Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2005 sienna: engine check light and vsc light coming

I have an engine check light and vsc light coming on in my 2005 sienna. I was told it was related to the catalytic converter. A toyota place replaced the filter for that and told me if the light comes on again it means i'll need to replace the catalytic converter. I've also been told this should not happen and the Catalytic converter should last the life of the vehicle.

I just had Toyota service this problem and they replaced a filter related to the Catalytic Converter. They told me if the light comes on again I'd need to replace it entirely.

I am seeing references to a software/computer glitch which has been causing this in Toyotas. I've never been notified about anything like this.

This particular toyota has a terrible track record from day one - though I could never get toyota to do a buy-back or otherwise acknowledge it's a lemon. Now I'm seeing information about the Engine Check/VSC light being related to a software glitch.

Any background information is much appreciated.

Matt in Colorado.

Genchi Genbutsu :

HI

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Are you sure that this is a 2005 year Sienna PoS?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

skip letters PoS

Customer:

just 2005 sienna

Genchi Genbutsu :

Ok. I am showing no Technical service bulletins listed for any updated software on this year and model. What code did you get from the check engine light?

Customer:

do not know the code. had it serviced at a toyota dealer.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Maybe the receipt would have the code listed on it?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Maybe it was a P0420 or P0430 code?

Customer:

i don't have handy. sensor was replaced.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thanks. Most likely the code was either a P0420 or P0430 Catalytic converter inefficiency code. How many miles are on your Sienna?

Customer:

75K

Genchi Genbutsu :

That's a good thing because you catalytic converters are covered by Toyota for 8yesrs or 80,000 miles. The Dealer should replace which ever one is bad under warranty.

Customer:

even though i only have a 5 year warranty which is now expired?

Genchi Genbutsu :

All Toyota's have several warranties. The first is the 3year 36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper. The second is the 5 year/ 60,000 mile Powertrain warranty. The last is the Federal Emissions warranty which is for the Computer and the Catalytic Converters and that is 8year/ 80,000 miles.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Here...

Customer:

ok. i have copied and pasted the conversation in case toyota fails to comply. they have not been good to work with.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Have you tried going to another Dealer?

Customer:

i have tried working with toyota usa and local dealers. this vehicle has been a problem since i purchased in 2/05.

Genchi Genbutsu :

I am sorry to hear that.

Customer:

i will call tomorrow and set an appointment.

Customer:

thank you.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you and I hope all goes well.

Customer:

that will be a miracle given my experience with toyota. Thank you.

Genchi Genbutsu :

My pleasure.