Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2000 Toyota: signal lights..hazard lights..Checked fuse..Electronic

Customer Question
2000 Toyota Sienna...turn signal lights...
2000 Toyota Sienna...turn signal lights and hazard lights not working. Checked fuse and it is ok. Replaced Electronic flasher...still not working. When power is first turned on and signals are turned on, makes a weird "motor" noise then nothing. Nothing more until ignition turned off then on again...same "groan" then nothing. Any ideas?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/3/2012
Toyota Mechanic: AMD, Toyota Certified replied 5 years ago
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified

amd_hcds :

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer

amd_hcds :

In order to diagnose this problem you will need a voltmeter and basic electrical knowledge

Customer:

Any thoughts on the source of the issue?

amd_hcds :

Are you going to perform the work yourself?

amd_hcds :

I'm thinking of the switch. But we have to check it.

Customer:

I don't have a voltmeter unfortunately...if it was a simple part replacement, then yes.

amd_hcds :

Well I'm not going to have you replace any parts until we verify that it's faulty.

amd_hcds :

Do you think you could get your hands on a volt meter? Cheap one from walmart?

Customer:

Makes sense...where is the switch located?

amd_hcds :

The switch is the handle that you push to turn the turn signals on

amd_hcds :

That's not a cheap part to replace and it's not a walk in the park to replace so we have to verify that it's the source of our problem first.

amd_hcds :

Hold on while I pull the wiring diagram

Customer:

Got it. I would have to get the voltmeter tomorrow. Sounds like a fix above my pay grade. :) The "groan" noise when I first try the hazard button or turn signal seems to be coming from the lower left side of the vehicle...in front of the steering wheel, but in the engine area...does that sound related to the switch?

amd_hcds :

Maybe, What i'm thinking is that the switch might have alot of resistance and sending low voltage to the flasher which is the groaning you're hearing. I could be wrong that's why we have to check.

amd_hcds :

We could try a few things before you get the voltmeter.

amd_hcds :

Where is the flasher that you replaced located?

Customer:

Behind the ashtray under the steering wheel, roughly below the fuse box...accessed it from below the dash panel. Replacement part EP35 electronic flasher

amd_hcds :

OK. Let's try something here. Do you have the vehicle close to you?

Customer:

Yes...just outside

amd_hcds :

OK could you pull the hazard switch out?

Customer:

Turn it on? It is a push button on the dash

amd_hcds :

No pull the actual button out?

Customer:

I'll try...hang on

amd_hcds :

Use a little screw driver slowly and try to pull it out, it should pull it very easily. Be carefull not to damage the plastic.

amd_hcds :

Let me know. I will be back in a few minutes.

Customer:

Got it out

amd_hcds :

OK do you have a small peice of wire laying around somewhere?

Customer:

Speaker wire...too light of gauge?

amd_hcds :

Is it a tiny wire? Would you say it's the same size as the wires connected to that switch that you just took out?

Customer:

It is tiny... the hazard switch I took out was just the plastic cover. I found a thicker wire...12-2...will try that. Car is outside and internet coverage in only inside...what do I need to do with the wire once I find the switch connection?

amd_hcds :

OK you need to pull the switch out completely, you will find a connector connected to it, it will have a little tab that you push to release the connector from the switch. On that connector locate a RED wire with a WHITE tracer and also locate a GREEN wire with a RED tracer and using your little piece of wire jump these two wires together through the connector and while holding and making sure that you do not touch any exposed metal in the vehicle, turn your key on and see if the turn signals work.

Customer:

k...give me a few minutes and will try

amd_hcds :

OK let me know

Customer:

No go...I can only get the button cover off...can't pull out the switch through the opening in the dash without damaging it.

amd_hcds :

OK let me see if I can find you a better way to get it off hold on.

amd_hcds :

OK you're going to have to take the center console and then some to get to that switch. You in for it?

Customer:

I'm going to call "uncle" It's 10:00 here and I've been trying to diagnose then fix for about 2 1/2 hours now...what course of action do you suggest I try tomorrow.

amd_hcds :

Well you're going to have to get a voltmeter, just buy a cheap one from walmart. Then take the steering column cover out which is the cover around the turn signal switch. you will have 2 screws from the bottom and if you turn the steering wheel half a turn you will see two screws between the steering wheel and the cover.

Customer:

k...what next?

amd_hcds :

Remove that out of the way then find the connector that goes to the turn signal switch, I need you to locate a GREEN wire with a WHITE tracer.

amd_hcds :

You will then set your volt meter to Volts DC

amd_hcds :

Then connect your black meter lead to the body of the vehicle any exposed metal is good. And your red meter lead put it in the back of that wire where it goes into the connector. And turn the key on, see if you are getting 12v there with the key on turn signals off.

Customer:

If less than 12volts then?

amd_hcds :

If you have less than 12v like let's say 0v or up to 9v then i'm thinking it's the hazard switch that's bad or the wiring in between. Knowing toyota it's most likely going to be the hazard switch in that case.

amd_hcds :

Also before you do all that, which fuses did you check?

Customer:

The 7.5 fuse for the turn signals. Visually looked good, then swapped places with the radio fuse that was also 7.5 and radio still worked fine.

amd_hcds :

OK check the fuse for HAZARD

amd_hcds :

It's a 10A fuse

Customer:

Will do. Hang on a minute or two while I do that.

amd_hcds :

OK, do the swapping too just fo checking

Customer:

Only 10a fuses are Heater, Gauge, Mirror-Heater, and Tail....which one is the hazard? Not seeing anything on the diagram labeled Hazard

amd_hcds :

Hold on let me locate it for you. Stand by

amd_hcds :

OK it's going to be in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side, Swap it with the fuse from the dome light to check.

amd_hcds :

dome light fuse is in the same fuse box under the hood

Customer:

Swell...is that fuse box easily accessible? I'm working in the dark with a flashlight. :(

amd_hcds :

Oh yes, Open the hood and you will see it next to the battery, there's a cover on top of the fuses that you need to take off, it will have a little tab that you press and pull the cover off

Customer:

k...give me a couple and will make the swap

amd_hcds :

OK

Customer:

The good news is that I know a lot more about fuses on toyotas now...the bad news is that the fuse was fine.

amd_hcds :

OK then you need a voltmeter to check, and we'll probably have to pull that hazard switch at some point to check it.

amd_hcds :

I will be available tommorow until 10am central time and then back at around 9:30pm central time

Customer:

Any guess how much this should cost if I take it to a shop and it is the switch?

amd_hcds :

Well I work at a toyota dealership in chicago, if you would take your car to the dealership they would charge you 1 hour labor to find out what's wrong. Our hourly labor charge is 110 dollars. Independant repair shops have lower labor charges as low as 60-70 dollars.

amd_hcds :

They will charge an hour of labor to find out the problem, If you agree to fix it then the hour labor to daignose goes toward the repair.

amd_hcds :

Let's say it needed a hazard switch replaced, they charged you an hour to diagnose, and then you agreed to replace it, the labor to replace it might be an hour or hour and a half you will only pay the extra half an hour of time not 2 hours and a half.

amd_hcds :

A hazard switch is not very expensive. A turn signal switch might be a little bit expensive.

amd_hcds :

From the way everything sounds I'm thinking you might have a problem with the hazard switch or wiring.

amd_hcds :

Do you service your vehicle at the dealership or independant shop?

Customer:

Thanks for the help...I appreciate the assistance. Usually independent shop...we're new to the area though, so haven't found a go to mechanic here yet.

amd_hcds :

This problem is a very basic problem and doesn't really require a very skilled technician to diagnose. The dealership charges an hour to diagnose but usually we find the problem after 10 minutes in your vehicle since it has a very basic circuit.

amd_hcds :

There are no computers involved not anything complicated.

amd_hcds :

You're very welcome. If you're satisfied with my answers please press ACCEPT so I can get compensated for my time.

amd_hcds :

If you have any other questions please let me know and i'll get back to you.

Customer:

Will do. Have a good night.

amd_hcds :

THank you. Have a good night.

AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Hello again!

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you have tried the method I proposed or took your vehicle to a shop to see what's wrong with the turn signals.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if you needed more help.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your toyota questions!
AMD
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified