Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Pickup: I have a 94 Toyota 4WD 4 cyl. pickup, engine

Customer Question
I have a 94 Toyota...
I have a 94 Toyota 4WD 4 cyl. pickup, engine will crank, but not fire. I have replaced the fuel filter, removed the fuel tank, checked fuel pump (ran wires directly from battery, runs just fine) checked tank, (thought is was dirty/rusty, V.clean)replaced tank. New battery, I do not have power running back to fuel pump, also checked connector under seat in cab, no power there either, (with ignition on) any suggestions?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Toyota
4/11/2012
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 5 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

hello, the fuel pump does not run with just the key on, it should run as soon as the computer receives a start signal when the engine is cranking, once there is ignition confirmation the circuit opening relay will trigger the fuel pump to stay on.

locate the diagnostic check connector under the hood, turn the key on and put a jumper wire between the terminals B+ and FP, this will activate the fuel pump bypassing all the relays and the computer, let me know the result of this test.

Tried that, bridge wire,+B,FP, still wont start
Thanks for the reply, do you have 12 volts at the B+ terminal of the connector?
No. I have a multimeter, and a continuity tester, nothing on either. How far down in the diagnostic box should I have to push to make contact?
The metal pin connector is just below the top surface, you may have to clean it of grease to make sure you are connected to the metal connector,if there is no voltage to B+ the fuel pump won't run.
Just re-tested, key on this time. (my bad) I have voltage
No problem, if the fuel pump doesn't run when jumping B+ and FP then there is an open wire. Check for continuity between the FP terminal and the fuel pump wire under the seat, if it's ok check from the connector to the wire on the fuel pump at the tank.
Okay. Is that the blue wire? and with the key on?
Yes that would be the blue wire, do you have a fuel pump circuit diagram?

Okay, I think Im on to something. Checked continuity from FP to connector under seat , no current. I ran a " bridge wire" from FP (still hooked to +B) to connector , fuel pump runs, engine starts, then quits

Ok, how long does the engine run?

Runs for a few seconds

Check the airflow meter connector, check to make sure there are no large vacuum leaks, do you have a fuel pressure gauge, the fuel pump should keep running like this but I want to be sure it's not losing pressure after starting up.

Checked all the trunking/hoses running from airflow meter(on top of air filter?) across to intake manifold, they appear intact. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. Where is the Schraeder valve/ connection for the gauge located on the fuel system?

There is no valve, you would have to open the fuel rail fitting and use a banjo adapter or connect at the cold start injector, most autoparts stores have tool rentals available so you could rent a gauge with the necessary fittings.
Okay. It is almost dark here, and it will be Tuesday of next week before I will be able to try that. What are your usual hours? I would like to continue working with you. In the meantime, I could use some help locating the fuel rail fitting ,and the cold start injector. I have a Haynes manual ,sometimes the pictures/ discriptions/diagrams are a little vague, especially when one manual covers several years and models
The easiest way is to connect to the cold start injector, it's located on the outer side of the plenum chamber and has a small fuel line going to it and an electrical connector on it. Just remove the 12mm fitting and put a suitable banjo fitting and a longer 12mm fitting.
I'm usually on line from about 10AM to 8PM PST off and on.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Read your E-mail today,when I got home, will be contacting you tomorrow, (4/18) to continue working on my 94 toyota. Picked up a fuel pressure tester today, will hook it up in the morning, and go from there.
Ok, I will check back later today.
Some success this morning! With just brdge wire from B+ Fp truck runs, runs unsteadily, and dies ( no fuel pressure) With jumper wire from B+ Fp to connector under passenger seat, engine will run continuously (Fuel pressure maintians a constant 38psi when running, or engine stopped, raising slightly when engine RPM is increased,dropping back to 38psi)
Relist: Other.
ted ritter may be busy, is skyvisions available?
Relist: Other.
No response from technician
Sorry, I was not available to reply sooner, I think there may be a problem with either the EFI relay or the circuit opening relay. Try switching the efi relay with another relay that is the same, if that doesn't work locate the circuit opening relay and replace it.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Okay. May need help locating them. Is the fuel pressure Okay? (38PSI)
Yes the fuel pressure is ok, the problem may be the efi relay it's located in the fuse box under the hood, the circuit opening relay is located under the right side kick panel, this picture may help locate it.
Switched the EFI relay with the one marked "starter" no change. Removed the panel in R/H kick plate, only thing there, is a large metal box, about 7 inches square, marked "ENGINE CONTROL"
I located the cicuit opening relay, by removing the glovebox. It has 5 prongs on it, 3 smaller ones in a row, with 2 bigger ones below. Is this correct?
Will continue in the A.M. Are you available tomorrow, Friday?
yes that is the correct relay.
I will be back later this afternoon.
Have located correct relay (there were two) However, there is no power coming into the relay. According to my wiring diagram, there are two feeds, b/w,black & white larger wire,) & w/b,( black on white,smaller wire). Both are marked as B (black) on the diagram. As a result, I am unable to make blue wire(L) hot, pump will still only run, (&engine) with jumper wire installed, from B+ to connector, under seat. Also, no continuity from +B to Fp on diagnostic box. I'm curious, what exactly are we bypassing, using the jumper wire?
Are you available tomorrow (Saturday?)

Hello, I'm available most of today. Thank you for being patient. When you are using the fp/b+ jumper You are bypassing the relays including the circuit opening and the efi relay. When powering the blue wire under the seat you are bypassing the relays and there associated wiring so the problem has to be foreward from the connector under the seat. there is no continuity from b+to fp this is normal.

I'm going to locate my wiring diagram and we can go from there to find where the open circuit or bad relay may be, I'll be back shortly.

Hello, with the key on is there voltage to the black/orange wire to the COR?

When cranking the engine is there voltage to the blue wire at the COR?

Thanks for replying, I appreciate your help. Okay, with B+/Fp bridge installed, blue wire is hot with key on, and when cranking. Remove bridge, nothing. Cannot locate black/orange, here's what I have; Looking at the back of the relay, top row L toR; black/white(big wire},white/red, blue,(fuel pump) .Bottom row; Lower left, white/black, lower right, green yellow
Is it a manual transmission, it sounds like either the starter relay or the airflow meter is the problem. Do you have the information how to test the air flow meter?
It could still be a problem with the circuit opening relay itself. Have you tried replacing it?

The black/white wire is the starter signal wire

blue goes to the pump

white/black is ground solid black is B+

green yellow is FC (fuel cut) and goes to the air flow meter

these are for the circuit opening relay you mentioned earlier

Check for starter signal voltage when cranking

check for voltage to the blu wire when cranking

check for ground to the white black wire

if those are ok, ground the green/white wire, if the engine start and runs the problem is the contact in the airflow meter

If it doesn't start or any of the above tests are negative replace the circuit opening relay.

Thankyou for replying; I have a Haynes manual which describes in great detail how to test the airflow meter (the only problem there is understanding the graduations on my multimeter versus the manual!!!) will check everything else. Do I undertake these tests with/without the wire bridge (B+ Fp)?
No, do not use the B to fp jumper when testing.
Ran tests, B/W hot while cranking, W/R hot while ingition is on, and cranking, nothing on blue (pump) wire, grounded W/B wire, nothing. Grounded green/yellow wire nothing. At no time did I hear an audible "click" from the relay. New relay is 72 dollars, just wanted to make sure. Also, using a Multimeter,I checked resistance across STA-E1 (17-25) and B+-Fc (88-132) came up with the same measurement for both, which was 3, on the scale(Ohms) Based on the parameters, both tests should have come up with different readings, shouldn't they?
Ok, it sounds like the relay is the problem.
Okay, may take until Monday to get one (NAPA carries it.)Thanks again. Will be in touch maybe tomorrow, or Monday, hope this fixes it.
Ok keep me posted.
Update; Unable to get relay until Monday/Tuesday time frame. However, by using jumper wire from white/red hot wire in relay plug to blue fuel pump wire in relay plug (bypassing circuit opening relay altogether) truck runs great. Took truck on 5-10 mile test run, no missing, hesitating etc,leading me to think the rest of the fuel/ingition system is ok. What do you think?
Great, looks like you found the problem.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech