Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1998 toyota camry: inspection..egr valve..Cleaned the hoses..cleaner

Customer Question
1998 toyota camry 2.2 p0401...
1998 toyota camry 2.2 p0401 p0402 code at inspection. Have replaced, with toyota mfg VSV for EGR, EGR modulator and EGR valve. Cleaned the hoses and cleaned the ports with brake cleaner. and still got the above codes after they were reset. Help!!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/23/2012
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 5 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.

Toyota Service :

I would thing based upon your statements, that you either have either a leaking vacuum line to the manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP) or a bad MAP sensor

Customer:

We also replaced the Map sensor

Customer:

And all the lines were checked for vacuum

Toyota Service :

Factory MAP?

Customer:

I'm not sure, was working with a neighbor who is a certified Jeep Mechanic. He was using all Factory Toyota parts for the replacement.

Toyota Service :

Your statements indicate VSV for EGR, EGR modulator and EGR valve. Did you remove and clean the tube form the manifold to the EGR valve?

Toyota Service :

You do not mention the MAP

Customer:

WhenI asked him about the new map sensor he said he replaced it also. but I did not have to pay the toyota dealer price for that one

Customer:

yes he did that also

Toyota Service :

Is there vacuum going to the EGR at idle, any vacuum at all?

Customer:

i'm going to call my mechanic lee in theis instance

Customer:

Well I was not present for most of the work he did, he drove the car to and from his shop and worked on it there

Toyota Service :

It sounds to me like you either have a vacuum line incorrectly installed, or the MAP issue I described.

Toyota Service :

P0401 is insufficient EGR flow

Toyota Service :

P0402 is excessive EGR flow.

Customer:

Lee said that all the hoses were on correctly, I checked the hoses and followed them to each position as a backup check using my toyota repair manual as a guide.

Customer:

correct weird i know

Toyota Service :

These codes, if everything is 100% new and perfect, indicate that the EGR is sticking closed, and also sticking open.

Customer:

I think that every time he checked it was only the 401 kept coming up

Toyota Service :

You stated P0402

Customer:

I had him let the emission inspector got through the whole process and give the codes, and that is what I got

Customer:

401 and 402

Customer:

Lee also said that the EGR is getting really hot, more so than normal

Customer:

He showed my another camry running and there was a reall difference in mine

Toyota Service :

Hotter than normal? THat indicates a lean condition in the engine.

Customer:

ok?

Toyota Service :

no

Customer:

Lee also indicated that there was a lot of black gunk in the exhaust pipe

Customer:

Any other Ideas?

Toyota Service :

Black gunk.

Toyota Service :

I would recommend an induction cleaning. Maybe two, back to back.

Customer:

i guess, he used a paper towel and just wiped the inside of pipe and it was like black chalk

Customer:

how do yu do that?

Toyota Service :

A hot egr = too much exhaust gas flowing thru it, or a lean condition. This would not set a 401. A 401 is the valve is not flowing.

Toyota Service :

The black chalk is normal

Customer:

ok

Customer:

right not flowing.

Customer:

Here is another thing

Toyota Service :

You see a auto shop; they hook up a device that squirts clearner into the intake manifold, which aids in cleaning the tops of the valves off

Customer:

The Car was running great no problems other than would not pass inspection

Customer:

The we replaced those parts

Customer:

Now it is has an Idle problem, almost dying

Customer:

what could that be?

Customer:

like seafoam?

Toyota Service :

Almost dying is a partially open EGR valve

Toyota Service :

EGR affects the idle, and causes the car to stall.

Customer:

"squirts clearner into the intake manifold, which aids in cleaning the tops of the valves off"

Customer:

is that like using seafoam, Iwas wonderif that would help?

Toyota Service :

Go out to the car. Disconnect the rubber line to the EGR valve, and put a suitable plug in the vacuum line. Start it up and drive it. See if the idle gets better

Toyota Service :

Seafoam? I do not use that product.

Toyota Service :

I recommend BG products, a personal choice.

Customer:

ok I'll try that plug when I get home.

Customer:

what else should I try?

Toyota Service :

If the EGR is open, you are getting hot exhaust gas right int the intake manifold.

Toyota Service :

You are only supposed to get EGR on deceleration (foot off of the gas)

Toyota Service :

Only

Toyota Service :

No other time

Customer:

i understand

Toyota Service :

That is excess flow, if the EGR is passing exhaust gas any other time than decel

Toyota Service :

The possibility of a faulty modulator exists.

Toyota Service :

rare, but possible

Customer:

from the dealer?

Toyota Service :

Yep

Toyota Service :

Been known to happen

Customer:

we have thought about putting each piece back on to see if that fixes the idle problem, since it was running great befor all this

Toyota Service :

The ticket is to check whether is has any vacuum at the EGR at idle. If so ,the VSV is either being told to be on by the ECM or there is a mechanical failure

Customer:

would I need a vaccuum gauge to check that?

Toyota Service :

That would help a great deal.

Customer:

and use the manual to for the proper inches of vacuum?

Customer:

or whatever

Toyota Service :

There should be no vacuum at the hose to the EGR at idle.

Customer:

you mean the top pipe should not be sucking air at Idle?

Toyota Service :

vacuum opens the EGR valve. EGR gas entering the engine at idle is no good

Customer:

top inlet on the RGR I Mean

Customer:

EGR

Toyota Service :

The rubber tube, to the top of the EGR. Yes. NO vacuum.

Toyota Service :

zero

Customer:

but there is

Customer:

the little inlet on the top of the EGR is sucking air, and infact it runs better when tht tube is not attached

Customer:

but then it goes into a surging cycle

Toyota Service :

Then you either have something allowing the vacuum to pass (bad VSV/MAP/modulator) or something like that

Customer:

weird

Toyota Service :

Sure. It will run better whn you close the EGR gas off from entering the engine, by removing the tube

Customer:

ok, so, I guess I need to recheck all of my dealer paid parts one by one, and what else?

Toyota Service :

Yes indeed. And make sure the MAP is new, and a Toyota MAP

Toyota Service :

If it was running OK before the parts were replaced, the new parts are causing your new issue.

Toyota Service :

I would refit all the old parts, get an induction cleaning done, and retest

Customer:

OK, Can my Jeep guy do the induction cleaner or does it have to be done by toyota?

Toyota Service :

(there are not service bulletins on the P0401 or 402 issues.

Toyota Service :

Your Jeep tech can do it. Sure

Toyota Service :

Do you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

ok, yeah, I had also checked if there were and recalls on my vin number but there were not. I have been dealing with this problem for a while and been riding the bus to work every morning. My wife says I should just sell the car and not put anymore money into it. My jeep guy said he would take it off my hands for $500 my wife said to take it and run. but I think that is too low. and that the car still has life left in it,

Customer:

but here is just one little thing that is keeping it from passing the inspection.

Customer:

I had it out on the road and got pulled over for the tag being 9months out of registration. luckily he only gave me a warning

Toyota Service :

A good Toyota tech with an oscilliscope can check the electrical signals of the EGR VSV. Something to keep in mind

Customer:

How much is a diagnosys from toyota about how much?

Toyota Service :

I charge 1 hour in my service department. 90 dollars

Toyota Service :

your area may vary

Customer:

ok thanks I wish there is a smoking gun 100% fix for this. It is so frustrating!

Customer:

So do I check on thses things and then write back or is this it?

Toyota Service :

The smoking gun is there. It just nees to be found. I think the MAP is the culprit, but that is speaking from experience. This is a hands-on issue, which is difficult for me without seeing feeling touching

Customer:

right

Toyota Service :

Followups to an accepted anser are free of charge. If you have another issue, like something else is causing the EGR issue (intake manifold/knock sensor, etc), there would be the requirement of an new session.

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

do I hit accept button?

Toyota Service :

If you do not have any other questions, yes. If you have additional questions on this issue, please feel free to get back to me.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Ok, so I went back to my old VSV and installed it more accessible. and the Engine runs like it did before (smoothly, no rough Idle). And I cleared the codes and now when the MIL comes on I only Get the P0401 code. I then replaced all the vacuum hoses and did the induction cleaning. I'm thinking it still might be the VSV for EGR. What does the ohm meter need to say if the the VSV is removed and you are trying to check if the VSV is good?
Measure the resistance on the VSV. You should have 33-39 ohms across the two terminals , at 68 degrees F. If the reading is not as specified, replace the VSV.

Also, measure each terminal to the metal body of the VSV. If there is any continuity, any at all, replace the VSV.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert