Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Blower wont switch to defrost when selected..keeps blowing..vents

blower won't switch to defrost when selected. It just keeps blowing out of mid vents.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Do you have automatic climate controls or do you have manual air-conditioning controls? Do any of the other modes work or is it just stuck on the vents?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

checking on other modes, 3 min

Let me know also if it is automatic air-conditioning.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it is automatic i believe, you select up or down on a temp setting...if you keep pressing lower temp it goes to max ac. The only mode working no matter what i select is the vents, it won't blow in defrost or feet area..it shows it on the digital display as i select the different modes but will only blow out of mid vents

This is automatic climate control. There is a actuator assembly on the driver side of the air box. This is located just up from the accelerator pedal and above the carpeting panel. This controls the different modes selections. I have seen several different things go on here. The first being the actual rotating cam that has several notches in it that controls the position of the door can get dislodged or stock. The other possibility is the actuator motor itself is bad. While selecting the different modes use a flashlight and monitor this rotating cam and actuator motor to see if you're getting any response from the actuator itself. If you see it starting to rotate and the cam gets stuck then you know there is an issue with the cam gear assembly. If you get no response or no movement that there is a possibility the drive actuator motor is bad or the input from the control panel is not working correctly. The weakest link is the actuator motor and cam gear assembly. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the actuator assembly and sure enough it wasnt working...i then looked at it from another angle and saw a socket with no plug in it. I found the plug hanging around up higher in the dash...grabbed it and plugged it in and now voila...i got all modes working again..thanks for your help

You are welcome. Glad this turned out to be a simple and inexpensive repair for you. In the future if you need any additional assistance feel free to ask for me Skyvisions, in the question and I will get back to you.