Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

my 1987 toyota pickup with 22r carburated will not start when

Customer Question
cold but cranks fine, i...
my 1987 toyota pickup with 22r carburated will not start when cold but cranks fine, i have to squirt starting fluid into the carb to get it to fire up then it runs fine, starts great when its not super cold outside, i think its a problem with the choke not setting properly. if so how do i adjust the choke, ps ive already cleaned of the linkage it operates fine
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Toyota
12/23/2011
Toyota Mechanic: Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician replied 5 years ago
Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.When the engine is cold, and you push the gas pedal and slowly release it does the choke plate completely close? Also when cold, If you are looking down the top of the carb. and you push the gas pedal linkage to the full throttle posistion, are you seeing a good spray of fuel inside the throat of the carb?(a good constant spray of fuel) Thanks,Please let me know

right now my engines not completly cold, but neither happens the choke plate doesnt close completely i can smell gas when im looking down into the carb but im not seeing a stream of gas spurt out. im the morning when its cold, i think its either not getting gas or the choke has an issue or both

OK, when its cold the choke plate must close completely (then as you are starting the engine,the choke pull-off then recieves vacuum, then the plate will open about 1/8 of an inch, to allow air to enter and keep it running) When it is cold,and you push the gas pedal to set the choke plate, at the same time the accelerator pump (inside the carb), is to give it a good spray of fuel,if not , then there wont be enough fuel for the cold engine to start correctly (wont fire-up) Have you removed the air filter top when it is completely cold to see if the choke plate is closed? (the plate must be closed. and a good spray of fuel from the accelator pump must be archived for the engine to start when cold) Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know
ok, yeah when the engine is cold i have had the carb exposed, the plate seems to close all the way or almost all the way as i can recall it might have been left out 1/8th inch open. i think it wasnt getting a good spay of fuel but idk ill have to check tomorrow morning when it is completely cold.in the mean time what can i do. what should i adjust right now to see if it makes a difference
If you are not getting a good spray of fuel when you push the accel. pedal, then the accel. pump is bad/weak or the port that the fuel sprays through is restricted,(the restriction is a very common issue), that requires removing the top of the carb.in order to clean out the port,To clean out the port the best thing to use is a thin stiff piece of wire and carb cleaner, (you will also need a new top cover gasket) Thanks,Please let me know

ok thanks i will check that tomorrow morning. but keep in mind the truck runs fine just wont start when cold. r u saying the accel pump might just not work properly when cold but fine the rest of the time? what if it is just the choke how do i adjust that it appeared it may not be closing fully, how would i adjust that?

If the accell. pump is weak you wont get the proper amount of spray when cold,or if the fuel leaks back out of the fuel bowl after sitting you wont get the proper spray, (when cold make sure that the fuel level in the float bowl is good,take a look at the front of the carb. there is a glass sight bowl,make sure fuel shows in the center of the bowl slight glass,) And make sure that after you first push the gas pedal. that the choke plate is closed,(if the plate is not closed, you can adjust the choke thermostat by loosening the 3 screws on it (round black plastic housing) and then turn the housing slightly clockwise to close the plate,(keep in mind that the choke thermostat may be bad,if when you slightly turn it and the plate doesn't close) Thanks,Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue

thank you i appreciate the help. i will look into this tomorrow. there are no screws on my thermostat, it is a rebuilt carburator, i may just have to buy a rebuild kit again because from what i recall i could not find individual gaskets for sale. on a different note idk if you could answer but maybe you can refer me to a phone #. i am pretty upset i am now subscribed at 27$ a month to this site, i only wished to pay a fixed ammout to this site for 1 question. i have tried to unscribed on the sites my account info with no luck. do you know who i can talk to about this

If it is a rebuilt unit,then most of the time they use ribbets to retain the choke thermostat housing in place,(you have to drill out the ribbets and replace them with sheet metal screws) You can get the gaskets from toyodiy.com As far as a phone number,I can send a message to the proper people that handle that for you, (sorry, I dont have phone # XXXXX this time,Im not at my normal computer) I will send message regarding billing, But please let me know what you find with the carb. so we can fix this issue, Thanks
thank you i would greatly appreciate you sending them that message!. Sooo i just checked out my carb again. and yeah the choke isnt closing all the way it remains about 1/8 in open it wont close any more than that. and yes they are rivets not screws. so ur saying i drill those out and turn the thermostat. to do that i would have to pull my carb and then if i turned the thermostat the scew holes wouldnt match up?
The plastic housing will turn and the steel retaining plate will still line up with the screw holes(these are separate from each other) so you can replace the ribbets with screws,Thanks
Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician