Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1997 Toyota T100: you replace the starter switch..tran

Customer Question
How do you replace the...
How do you replace the starter switch on a 1997 Toyota T100 pick-up with auto tran?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/17/2011
Toyota Mechanic: Doctor D, Auto Service Technician replied 6 years ago
Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician

Starter switch as in "ignition switch"? Explain the fault condition to me some.

It think the key cylinder is worn. I have to insert the key just right in order to get the switch to turn. Once it turns, the truck starts fine. I'm just looking for info on changing out the key cylinder.

The keys are designed to be softer then the tumblers, so many times a new key will fix this. Do you have a spare key and will it do the same thing? Now getting a "copy" of the worn key will not fix anything as the wear will be copied into the new key. A factory cut original key is usually the fix in this situation. Or switch to your spare and use the worn one as a spare.
Both keys are worn and exhibit the same problem. I have already purchased a replacement cylinder key set and I'm looking for advice on how to replace.

graphic

take off the upper and lower column covers as shown above. Do not remove steering wheel.

This will then expose the ignition switch housing. the part that the key goes into.

You will need to get the key to turn the ignition to "run". not start but run which mean all the warning light are on in the dash.

Then you need to find the release button for the ignition cylinder. It will be a hole in the ign housing about 1/2 way down the length of the cylinder. Its usually on top or below, i do not have a picture of the button ( i am still looking). But once you find the button then press the button and pull the whole cylinder out by the key(the key is in run). And the whole cylinder will pull out. Install the new one the same way, with the new one key in and set to "run"

Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician

graphic

another picture of the actual ignition housing

Your previous answer was sufficient and I have accepted. While not totally accurate, your answer was sufficient for me to complete the repair. Thank you! I rec'd a conformation that you have been paid and I consider this issue closed. Please stop sending me emails.

I do not need any addtitional infomation.

Aaron Donatto

thank you
Doctor D
Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician