Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Camry I have a 93 camry that has a severe oil leak.

Customer Question
I have a '93 camry...
I have a '93 camry that has a severe oil leak. I thought it was coming from either the front crankshaft of camshaft seals. I have inspected both and they appear to be fine. I am wondering if the oil pump is located at the front of the block and if that is where the leak is coming from. From what I can see, there is what appears to be an aluminum housing bolted to the front of the block and it appears this may contain the oil pump which presumably has a gasket around the perimeter and I think this is where the leak originates. Is this likely? Do I have to remove the oil pan to access this area? Please help.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/24/2011
Toyota Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

I'm Paul and I will help you with your Question

the oil pump is a common area for leaking

there is a oring gasket behind it

once the timing belt is off you can remove the oil pump gear/cover

the entire oil pump is part of the front cover but I have replaced just the oring gasket behind the pump gear and cover many times. you need to verify if the oil pump is leaking out of the face where the gear is or at where the front cover bolts to the block/oil pan

let me know if you need more help

Paul

Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
The leak is not anywhere on the front of the cover. It appears to be coming from the back side of the engine where the pump housing and the block meet. Do I have to remove the oil pan in order to remove the oil pump housing? Does the timing belt also drive the oil pump?

The timing belt does drive the pump

the timing belt and oil pan should be removed to do the job

click here for more details on oil pump procedure

click here for timing belt

click here for oil pan

labor to do the job is 5.2 hours at a shop or 520 dollars the part is around 150

Paul

Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech