Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2010 prius: welding..hybrid..activating and then re-activating the car

Customer Question
I have to do some...
I have to do some welding on a 2010 prius hybrid, where can I find the recommended procedures for de-activating and then re-activating the car?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Toyota
9/12/2011
Toyota Mechanic: Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

snapontech :

Hello

snapontech :

You only need to disconnect the battery in the rear and pull the plug at the battery center

snapontech :

This will be a orange plug found in the trunk under the spare tire cover

Customer:

I have a 2010 prius hybrid that i have to do some welding on. I want to know where i can find toyotas recommended procedure for powering down and then repowering the system after i am finished.

Customer:

is it possible to get pictures of what i am looking for?

snapontech :

Let me see what I can find

snapontech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I have to disconnect both batteries, Is this going to cause a problem when i repower the car?

snapontech :

No

snapontech :

Just pull this plug and disconnect the positive from the battery

snapontech :

The Big battery will still have power just not to the car

snapontech :

Then you will put the plug back in and reconnect the battery

snapontech :

I have done this many times rebuilding these cars

Customer:

what do i need as far as gloves to pull the plug

snapontech :

They say to always wear high voltage gloves when dealing with the car

snapontech :

I never did but I am not saying you shouldnt

Customer:

does it matter what gets unhooked first?

Customer:

does it matter what gets hooked up first?

snapontech :

Nope

snapontech :

You can do either one first

snapontech :

The car will not just start shooting sparks like some think just use caution dont be sticking metal inside the battery pack or getting wild with it you will be fine

Customer:

any length of time that i have to wait before i start cutting the quarter panel off?

snapontech :

I would wait 5 minutes this is how long the battery takes to discharge the airbags systems

snapontech :

Let me know if you need anything else. If I have answered your questions please press the green ACCEPT button in the lower right hand corner. Positive feedback is appreciated Danny

snapontech :

I am standing by if you are in need of anything only time we get credit is if accept if pushed I would appreciate it.

Customer:

do you know where i can find this information in writing from toyota?

snapontech :

Your looking for what information from toyota? How to discharge the system

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i have the owners manual and there is nothing in there

snapontech :

Not sure dont have the toyota database but I took 2 years training on toyota hybird systems at my school in wa state

snapontech :

They had a special program which I took just to be on top of this

Customer:

wish i did

Customer:

thx

Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic