Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

1999 camry: P0446..Changed vsv at charcoal canister..same code

P0446 1999 camry light on. Changed vsv at charcoal canister. No difference, same code again. Checked vsv on airbox and clicked as it's suppose to. Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

This is actually a "known problem" and Toyota has issed a Technical Service Bulletin:

ENGINE
EG004-99
REVISED

Title:
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0446

Models:
'99 Avalon, Camry & Solara

June 13, 1999

Introduction
Under certain driving conditions, some 1999 Model Year Avalon, Camry and Solaras will exhibit a false M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0446. A Vacuum Control Valve Assembly has been developed to prevent this condition.

Warranty Information

This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

Coverage is extended to 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, in the states of California and Massachusetts under the California Emission Warranty

graphic

graphic

• Raise vehicle on lift to gain access to the Purge Canister and remove the two Vacuum Lines indicated in Figure 1.
  • Save the Metal Clamps from the larger hoses for reuse.graphic
  • Install the New Hose Assembly as shown in Figure 2.
  • Reuse the Hose Clamps removed in Step 2 on the large hose as indicatedgraphic
  • Verify that the Vacuum Hose Assembly is installed as shown in Figure 3.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

graphic

• Save the Metal Clamps from the larger hoses for reuse. graphic
  • Reuse the Hose Clamps removed in Step 2 on the large hose as indicated graphic