Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.
This is actually a "known problem" and Toyota has issed a Technical Service Bulletin:
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0446
'99 Avalon, Camry & Solara
June 13, 1999
Under certain driving conditions, some 1999 Model Year Avalon, Camry and Solaras will exhibit a false M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0446. A Vacuum Control Valve Assembly has been developed to prevent this condition.
This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
Coverage is extended to 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, in the states of California and Massachusetts under the California Emission Warranty
- Raise vehicle on lift to gain access to the Purge Canister and remove the two Vacuum Lines indicated in Figure 1.
- Save the Metal Clamps from the larger hoses for reuse.
- Install the New Hose Assembly as shown in Figure 2.
- Reuse the Hose Clamps removed in Step 2 on the large hose as indicated
- Verify that the Vacuum Hose Assembly is installed as shown in Figure 3.