Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I need a a timing diagram for a 1996 Toyato tercel 4 cylinder

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

graphic

• align the hole of the camshaft timing pulley on the side with the 5E mark with the timing mark of the bearing cap.
  • Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft and align the timing marks of the crankshaft timing pulley and oil pump body.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont understand where the marks should be for the oil pump body and the crankshaft timing pulley
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

There is a "notch" on the oil pump body that lines up with the end notch behind the crankshaft pulley.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is no notch on the oil pump but there is a letter E
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
No, it should be more of a "dot" or a "punched hole". Set the #1 cylinder to TDC compression, and the timing marks should be very close. You can fine tune it from there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to have the belt on or off while turning the Crankshaft. I have everythihing lined up just like in the diagram but the oil pump is throwing me off because there is no dot or a punched hole.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

The oil pump does not have timing marks. With the belt OFF, set the crank to TDC, and align it's marks. Next set the cam to it's marks, THEN set the belt in, without moving any pulleys (a little tricky but you can do it).