Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Where is the location of the engine coolant temperature

sensor in a 1998 Toyota...
Where is the location of the engine coolant temperature sensor in a 1998 Toyota Corolla LE?
6/2/2011
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

I am showing it tucked in behind the exhaust manifold:

1. Disconnect the air/fuel ratio sensor connector.
  2. Remove the four bolts that retains the exhaust manifold heat insulator.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removal of the exhaust manifold

3. Remove the five nuts and then the exhaust manifold
  4. To prevent possible damage, remove the gasket from the cylinder head.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removal of the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

Click
    View Full Image

Fig. Removal of the exhaust manifold

Click
    View Full Image

How many pins are on this coolant temperature sensor?

it is a 2 pin sensor
Okay thanks for responding. In front of the driver's side just to the right of the top radiator hose there is a 3 pin sensor. What sensor is this?

which one #1 or #2 in below diagram:

graphic

my mistake. looked at wrong one. it is a 3 prong sensor. the end where the connector fits is almost tri-angular in shape:

graphic
that's why i asked the question.Would you know the oem part # for the sensor?

did you get my last post. the one nearest the top radiator hose is the ect sensor. I looked up wrong one. IT IS A 3 pin sensor.

The one you are seeing is the ECT sensor.

sorry, dont have the OEM part number handy.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Thanks for the clarification. I will now accept.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager