Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2011 rav4: check engine light..vsc , 4wd and traction warning light on

Customer Question

i bought 2011 rav4 car just 1 week , it has got check engine light on with vsc , 4wd and traction warning light on . i went to delaer , he replaced oxygen sensor on bank 1 ,
i drove it for anothr 20 miles and same check engine light has appeared again
iam little woried if these cars reliable , with 100 miles on it , car has so many problems , please advise what could be the issu
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 6 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thanks for using Just Answer for your needs. Do you remember the code that the Dealer pulled from the computer? Maybe on the reciept?

Customer:

first time when i went he said some history codes has to be reset because car was on lot for sometimes some bad gas might have to replaced , second time when i went he said oxygen sensor on bank 1 has to be replaced since it was malfunctionning

Genchi Genbutsu :

Was it a possible P0138 code?

Customer:

sorry not sure about any codes , but i can check recipt very quickly

Customer:

recept is in car

Customer:

can you pls for 2 min?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Yes, thanks.

Customer:

i mean for hold for 2 min , i can get it from car

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

here;s describtion on paper --------------------------- P0138 O2 senson bank 1 sensor 2 high voltage . inspected readings on O2 sensor and had almost no movement . performed A/F control and found A/F sensor OP Normal and O2 sensor almost no reaction. necessary to replace A/F sensor.

Customer:

REPLACED A/F Sensor on bank 1 sensor , cleared codes and recheked . labor OP 801013

Customer:

DP0138 ,,,,895181

Customer:

thats the whole description on the paper

Customer:

Hope this is useful :)

Customer:

Are you there?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Yes, thats what I thought.

Customer:

ok

Genchi Genbutsu :

There is a bulletin on this condition but its not yet listed for the 2011 Rav4. It was made because the code and condition is decieving. The code given is for the O2 sensor but the fix is to replace the A/F sensor. Dont worry if you dont understand this jargon. The bulletin # XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

how can i get information about this bulletin

Customer:

is there any link ?

Genchi Genbutsu :

What they need to do is recheck this check engine light for you and when they fix it submit a DPR (Dealer Product Report) and this will let Toyota know about the issue.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Let me look....

Customer:

sure thanks for looking , and they have actually fixed above said problem but after driving sometime afain check engine light has come , so you think its stillsame issue or could be possibly other issue.

Genchi Genbutsu :

I'm sorry but I cant find a copy but the Dealer shop be able to just print you out a copy.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

is this consisdered minor problem or major problem as per your experience

Customer:

and worried if this car is reliable for long run

Genchi Genbutsu :

Minor. It is a issue of some poorly made A/F sensors and they are correcting them through this bulletin and letting Dealer Techs know about it.

Customer:

ok thanks

Genchi Genbutsu :

My pleasure.

Please reply back if needed,

Genchi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi

can i ask you one lat question

Sure!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when i went 2 nd time below is description on paper.

P0138 O2 senson bank 1 sensor 2 high voltage . inspected readings on O2 sensor and had almost no movement . performed A/F control and found A/F sensor OP Normal and O2 sensor almost no reaction. necessary to replace A/F sensor.

REPLACED A/F Sensor on bank 1 sensor , cleared codes and recheked . labor OP 01013.

and i went back again because problem didnt got fixed , now they say they have to replace whole ECM, because there is some malfunctioning internally in the ECM , they havent provided me any fix , iam waiting for them to fix .

and please advice me what is the best thing to do in these situation ,

i lost credibility in this car , and my intention is get replace this with another new car or get complete refund .

and iam not sure how to work on these kind of things , should i have to work with toyota directly or negotiate with dealers

i already spoke with dealership , it seems they have no intention to replace car and are not responding properly to me.

i heard about lemon law and buyback situation, can i show my intention of intiating lemon law with toyota , is that a safe thing to do ?

please advise how can i negotiate with toyota regarding buyback situation

If you want it fixed then the best thing to do is let them fix it. As for the other two items- straight trade to another 2011 Rav4 or Buyback, the most likely thing would be the trade. They would just redo the paperwork between the two vehicles and that would be it. The unlikely scenario would be the Buyback and this would be under the Lemon law which requires 3 repair attempts on the same concern. Even then you would have to go through arbitration and a mediator would decide what would happen. The Dealer may even get one more repair attempt and bring in a Factory Engineer to look at the vehicle.

Genchi
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestion
My pleasure.

Genchi