Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Pull codes on a 1995 toyota corolla? I need to jumper wire procedure.

How do I pull codes...
How do I pull codes on a 1995 toyota corolla? I need to jumper wire procedure.
3/7/2011
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Corolla question. I'm Dj and I wil work with you on this.

Dj :

Under the hood, near the fuse box is a small box about 1 inch by 2 inches. Under the lid is a chart that shows what each of the terminals.

Dj :

I use a regular paper clip bent to a P shape. Hook Te1 to E1. This will trigger the system to flash your check engine light (with the key on, engine off).

Dj :

You will get a series of blinks, then a pause, then another series of blinks.

Dj :

This is the code you are looking for. Let me know what the code is.

Customer:

Code is 25 and the 12 i assuem 12 is the end of sequence code.

Dj :

Code 25 is air fuel ratio too lean for at least 90 seconds.

Dj :

Code 12 is No NE signal to the ECU for more than 2 seconds.

Dj :

There should be a pause of 4 seconds, then a code, then a pause of 4 seconds, then another code, then pause, and on and on.

Dj :

Does the engine run?

Customer:

No NE.... what is NE?

Dj :

That's what Toyota calls the signal from the distributor to the ECU.

Customer:

Yes the engine runs just fine after startng but hard start when cold. Starts ok when keeps in garage.

Dj :

Try clearing the codes, run it for an hour or so, then check for codes again.

Dj :

Neither of these should cause a cold start problem.

Customer:

How do I clear codes?

Dj :

Pull the EFI fuse for 30 seconds.

Dj :

This is in the fuse box under the hood.

Customer:

Should I check for vacuum leaks for the lean code?

Dj :

First clear the codes and see if they come back.

Dj :

This car has a cold start injector and it's not unusual for it to get plugged up, especially if you live in a southern state.

Dj :

The way this works, when the key is turned to the START position, and the temperature is below about 50 degrees, the cold start injector sprays additional gasoline into the engine to help it start.

Dj :

You could also have a problem with the fuel pump bleading down pressure when the car is parked.

Dj :

What city do you live in?

Customer:

North of Detroit.

Customer:

Is there any way to clean the cold start injector?

Customer:

Where is the cold start injector? I oly see 4 injectors attached to the fuel rail and I do not see the fuel line connecting to anything else.....

Dj :

The cold start injector is located on the intake maniford. If you follow the fuel lines, you should be able to spot it. It's got a two wire connector attached to it.

Dj :

I've never been successful cleaning a sensor.

Dj :

There is one more thing we need to eliminate before replacing the injector.

Dj :

At the same place you jumpered to get the failure codes, we will jumper the fuel pump.

Dj :

After you park the car for the day, turn off the key and jumper B+ to FP. You can use a paperclip in a U shape to jumper the two together.

Dj :

The next morning when you go to start the car, turn the key on without turning the key to the start position. This will turn on the fuel pump. Count to 10.

Dj :

Then try to start the car. If it starts right away, that's a sign the fuel pump is leaking down.

Dj :

Don't keep the paperclip in the test connector. This is for testing and isn't a permanent fix.

Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Dj
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician