Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Matrix XR my check engine light came on my 07 matrix

Customer Question
my check engine light came...
my check engine light came on my 07 matrix (48K miles). I adjusted the gas cap, as I know that can cause it. I did that yesterday evening. Should it have gone away by this morning? If that is not the real reason it came on, what should I have checked?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/2/2011
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 6 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

When the Check Engine light comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you that it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are literally 100's of parts/sensors monitored and to take a "guess" just isn't very efficient. A very common problem is, in fact, a losse, missing or faulty fuel cap. If you are sure the fuel cap is good, and is on tightly, the light SHOULD reset itself within 50-75 miles of normal driving. If the light has not reset itself, you next best bet is to have the "p-codes" read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are used as a "starting point" to begin the diagnostic process and find where the actual problem lies. You can have the -codes read for Free at any local "big chain" parts store (like AutoZone). Once you have these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem, and begine the repair procedure.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -