Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2005 Toyota Sienna. Won't start. Seems to be the engine

2005 Toyota Sienna. Won't...
2005 Toyota Sienna. Won't start. Seems to be the engine immobilization system. Security system seems to work as advertized except when the key is removed, the light flashes as it is suppose to but after closing all doors and hood I lock the doors but the light continues to flash rather than staying on for 30 seconds. I can't start vehicle with any of the 3 keys I have and I have used them with proper distance separating the 3 keys. Battery and alternator check good. Is it possible that the vehicle lost the transponder code or is there a fuse that may need replaced?
2/19/2011
ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
ToyotaTom :

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

ToyotaTom :

When you insert the key, (without turning it on) does the security light turn off?

Customer:

Yes

ToyotaTom :

Ok, the it's not an immobilizer issue

ToyotaTom :

If it were, the light would keep blinking like normal because it doesn't see the key in place

Customer:

Let me confirm my answer.

ToyotaTom :

Has there been any work performed recently leading up to this? When is the last time you got gas?

ToyotaTom :

How many miles are on the van?

Customer:

The light does go off when I insert the key

ToyotaTom :

Has there been any work performed recently leading up to this? When is the last time you got gas? How many miles are on the van? Have the spark plugs ever been replaced? Timing belt?

Customer:

Toyota did an oil change this week. 165,000.

Customer:

Spark plugs and timing belt have both been replaced. All services performed on-time at Toyota dealership.

ToyotaTom :

What exactly happens when you try to start it? Does it give a single loud click? Many fast clicks? Does it try to start, and turn over, but not actually start?

Customer:

Got gas today at our usual Shell station.

Customer:

It does not turn over. The starter doesn't seem to make any attempt to engage. There are a few soft clicks and then nothing. The lights work, the radio works, all things on battery power are ok.

ToyotaTom :

If you're hearing the starter click, and the lights aren't dimming horrible, then I'd say you need to replace the starter

Customer:

Let me clarify. There is one soft click as the key is turned from on to start/ignition. The there is a soft humming noise kinda like a vibration.

ToyotaTom :

Fortunately, your starter is very, very easy to replace

Customer:

The starter is not clicking at all. I would expect the starter to be clicking if it was the problem.

ToyotaTom :

Generally is about a 20 minute job for me, because I know what I'm doing. Having never done it before shouldn't take you more than an hour. And all you need is a 10, 12, and 14mm socket

ToyotaTom :

Try this, Do you have a volt meter and a reasonable knowledge of how to work it?

Customer:

I do know how to work a volt meter but I do not own one.

ToyotaTom :

Test light?

ToyotaTom :

We need some way of verifying if voltage is getting to the exciter wire at the starter or not

ToyotaTom :

You can buy a cheap test light at wal-mart for less than $5. At the starter itself, there are 2 wires. One very large wire bolted on to the starter. IT should show voltage all the time, it is a direct connection to the battery. Also a small wire that is plugged in. This is the exciter wire. This wire should show voltage when the key is turned to "start"

Customer:

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, I'd have to purchase one tomorrow and test it then.

ToyotaTom :

We need to verify if both of these are good or not.

Customer:

Ok. I can get a test light tonight. It'll take about an hour.

ToyotaTom :

If they both test correctly, then it's a starter, clear and simple. IF not, then let me know which one is missing voltage and we'll have to test for voltage at a few different points to see exactlly where it is losing the voltage signal at

ToyotaTom :

You can also try to swap the starter relay with another relay that is similar, like the horn relay

Customer:

Ok. Shall I go purchase one and test it? How do we re-connect?

ToyotaTom :

You can simply reply to this chat

Customer:

Ok. I'll be back at in an hour and 8 minutes or 10:00 Mountain.

Customer:

I'm back with the tester. I'll go out to the van to test the wires as you described. Be back as soon as I have tested it.

Customer:

Faulty starter. Just got it running. I'll take it in to be replaced. Thanks for the help.

ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician