Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Reset airbag light on 2003 toyota corolla that has no trouble codes

how to reset airbag light...
how to reset airbag light on 2003 toyota corolla that has no trouble codes
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2011
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Has the airbag failure been repaired?

Skyvisions

yes both bags and controler

The SRS light should go off after 6 seconds when the key is turned on. If the light is not going out there is still a malfunction. Have you checked for additional codes or know how to get the codes?

Skyvisions

allso replaced both seatbelts i am using a solus scan tool just a little more info no codes present

Not possible. When the key is turned on it does a 6 second self test. If there are no failures in the SRS system the light goes out. If the light stays on it has detected a problem. Did you try pulling code numbers with the jumper wire method in the DLC3 connector and monitor the SRS light flashes?

Skyvisions

not yet didn't think scanner would miss anything I can try that if you think that would give a better outcome

Do you have the correct pin locations? They are TC and CG insert jumper wire and turn the key on and count the light flashes,

Skyvisions

yes I printed it off and try it now let me know if you think of any thing ellse

See if there are codes this way and we can go from there. The clearing method with the jumper wire can be done but is a pain in the butt. If there is a code or malfunction the light will not go out.

Skyvisions

tried jumper wire light flashed constatly

Try this procedure but something does not add up here. Was this car wrecked or under water?

4. DTC CLEARANCE (Not using service wire)

(a) When the ignition switch is turned off, the diagnostic trouble code is cleared.

HINT:nDTC might not be cleared by turning the ignition switch OFF. In this case, proceed to the next step. (This is if everything pass the self test ie 6 seconds.)

5. DTC CLEARANCE (Using service wire)

(a) Using a service wire, connect terminals TC and CG of the DLC3.

(b) Disconnect terminal TC of DLC3 within 10 seconds after the DTC begins to be output, and check if the warning light lights up within 3 seconds.

(c) Within 2.0 seconds to 4.0 seconds after the SRS warning light lights up, connect the terminals TC and CG of the DLC3.

(d) Light the SRS warning light goes off 2.0 to 4.0 seconds after connecting the terminals TC and CG of DLC3, then disconnect the terminal TC of the DLC3 2.0 to 4.0 seconds after the warning light goes off.

(e) Light the SRS warning light on again 3 seconds after disconnecting terminal TC of DLC3, then within 2.0 to 4.0 seconds after the lighting, connect terminals TC and CG of the DLC3.

(f) Check if the SRS warning light goes off 2.0 to 4.0 seconds after connecting terminals TC and CG of DLC3, and the correct code is output 1 second after the SRS warning goes off.

Skyvisions

yes hard hit in the front guy brought it to me because of light he had installed seatbelys incorectly then I found a broken connection on pass. side air after chasing all wires in system ordered new because light was going out with conection somewhat repaired

Let me know how the code check goes.

Skyvisions

seems to be no change when running test still flashs constantly

When the jumper wire is installed does the light flash? When the wire is removed and the key is turned on what does the SRS light do? Does it come on constant or is it flashing? Did you try the jumper wire to clear method?

Skyvisions

when wire is installed (switch on) the light go's out for a split second ten flashs constantly until wire is removed when wire is removed (switch on) light stays on

Where these parts new or used?

Skyvisions

yes

NEW or USED? Did you try the clearing method with the jumper wire?

Skyvisions

sorry used and yes I tried clearing with wire

This is probably not something I am going to be able to resolve in this format. If the clearing method with the jumper wire does not work to clear and it keeps showing no codes with the jumper wire and your scan tool you are looking at a bad computer or possibly a problem in the wiring to the computer that retains the power and ground supplies. I had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad computer ie center sensor. The only other thing to check is the voltage and ground pin outs and the wiring to the SRS light itself to make sure it is not shorted.

Skyvisions

where is the computer ie center sensor is that the controler

The computer or center airbag sensor is located in the center console on top of the tunnel just back from the firewall. It is a bugger to get to. Usually take the center console box out in front of the shifter to get to it. It along with all the sensors are supposed to be replace with new components when ever the bags have been deployed.

Skyvisions

from what I was told and have seen everything has been replaced excluding the air bag sensor at this point. I did change it before I replaced the faulty airbag, of course I thought the airbag was the problem and changed the air bag sensor back when I installed the new airbag.I will try changing it today and see what the outcome is. I'll let you know what happens then. Thanks

OK. let me know.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
The airbag sensor was faulty light is out thanks for sticking with me. I have a few toyotas myself. I now know where to go for the best help I've found ever. THANKS
That is great! If you need anything in the future just make sure you ask for me Skyvisions in the question and I will get back to you.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician