Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1991 Toyota Camry: brake lights..tail lights..fuses..the trunk hinge

Customer Question
1991 Toyota Camry: Suddenly the...
1991 Toyota Camry: Suddenly the brake lights, tail lights, instrument panel lights, heater fan stopped working. Have checked all the associated fuses (they are good), removed the H1 box in the trunk and checked it. The wires near the trunk hinge have been repaired before but seem fine. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/19/2011
Toyota Mechanic: Amedee, Toyota Technician replied 6 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how it works. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

What size engine do you have?

Do you need a wiring diagram these circuits?
The engine size is 2000cc, 4 cylinder. We have wiring diagrams already.
Ali
Sorry for the delay! There are 4 items to inspect. First, check for the misapplication of bulbs. This condition may be caused by the usage of an incorrect bulb. Second, check for a piece of solder between the contacts and the ground in the bulb socket. Third, the bulbs in the trunk lid assembly are mounted in steel sockets with a ground wire attached to it. This ground wire is combined with another ground wire that screws into the plastic housing which can come loose. This may cause excess heat in the failure sensor causing it to burn out. Fourth, make sure that all the bulbs are to factory specifications. Excessive amp flow from an incorrectly designed bulb can also burn out the failure sensor.
We checked the bulbs and ground- everything's good there.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Sorry for the delay!

Did you check for power to the bulbs? If so, what color wire were you checking?
Hi Amedee,
I am Ali's husband, Randal. Our Toyota is still not working. I have replaced the bulbs as you suggested. The turn signals work and the break lights, tail lights, side lights, instrument panel lights and heater control do not. I was able to make both the tail and brake lights work when I jumperred the power from the tail lights to those bulbs. The ground is common with the tail lights and so I have eliminated that as the problem.

Do you know the location of the Integrated relay on the 1991 toyota camry? From my wiring diagrams, this is common to all of the things that are not working. Also, how does one remove the integrated relay and what is the easiest way to test it?
Sorry for the delay! You might have a bad light failure sensor or a tail light relay or even a bad integration relay. Here is a wiring diagram of your tail light circuit (first half... more important half). The two G wires on the top right hand side are the powers wires that go to the rear tail lights. Chances are these wires do not have power to them. We need to trace them back into the circuit until we find the problem. The integration relay is in about the center of the diagram

Here is a wiring diagram.

graphic
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Thanks for all your help. We still haven't found the problem exactly and are still working on it. But thank you anyway :)
You bet!

Thanks for the accept!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician