I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto mechanic
46707633

heater will not get hot 1997 camry

Customer Question

heater will not get hot 1997 camry
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Victor replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We need a little more detailed info before we can help you.

4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine?
How many miles?
Were there previous work done to the car that would be related to coolant?
Does it get warm, but not hot enough?
What does the temp gauge read on the gauge cluster?
When did it start happening?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its a4 cylinder has 260.000 miles timming belt replaced at 200,000 miles and water pump it slightly gets warm after driving for about 30 minutes temp gauge reads normal while driving about a week ago
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.
Hello...Once the other expert is off line i am going to help you on this ...Looks like you have a weak thermostat, you need to replace it.It is an easy one to change it is on the bottom radiator hose on the engine side. After you change it if you do not get good heat disconnect the to hoses that go to the fire wall(heater core )and with water hose flush them one at the time until clean water comes out.....good luck....thank you...accept my answer if i helped...
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Auto mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
replaced thermostat flushed both sides of heater core drove for about 20 minutes sill no heat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

after replacing thermostat and flushing heater core still no heat

Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.
In one of the hoses that go to the fire wall there is a plastic valve with a cable , can you move the lever by hand and check if got better....let me know...thank you..
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Auto mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
theres no cable in either hose
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.
Do you have good air flow out of the vents ? Was the AC working good in the summer time ? Can you check if both hoses that go to the heater core are hot ? Let me know...thank you...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ac is working heater core hoses are warm not hot
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.
we need to get those hoses hot.....Does the gage take more than 5 minutes to move when you first start the car in the morning? If you rev the engine up ,do you get more heat ? is this thermostat new or a trust brand? Let me know.....thanks...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
gage does not take more than 5 minutes to heat up when i rev the engine i do not get more heat thermostat is new from auto zone value craft
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.

Ok when you switch from hot to cold on the dial does it make any noises like a motor or vacuum or anything? I am thinking that the blend door or blend door actuator(servomotor) on the door is not working. It could simply be that something fell down the defrost vent and is blocking the door. See the blend door directs the air flow. When it directs it throught the heater core then it warms the air when it bypasses it you get cold air. Here is a pic of a blend door. Number 14 is the motor that is not working

Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.
to see if it is working.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when swicthing from hot to cold sounds like vacum also bottom and top radiator hoses are getting hot heater hoses are just warm
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 years ago.
You have to try pulling off one of the heater hoses that go to the heater core and check for good coolant flow.....let me know...thank you...