Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Replace the Charcoal canister in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma pre runner ?

How do I replace the...
How do I replace the Charcoal canister in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner?
11/13/2010
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. I will be happy to help you with this concern. Are you replacing the cannister due to a check engine light or is it damaged?
They put the diaganotic on it and the only code that came up was P0441, I checked the gas cap and it looked okay the O-ring looked okay. The opriginal reason was because of a Check Engine Light coming on.
Almost every time we see this code, the cannister is NOT the cause. There is a cannister close valve and the purge solenoid under the hood that are more likely to cause this and need to be checked first. A good deal of the time, a hose near the air cleaner comes off while checking the air filter and this whelk cause this code. Do you know where these valves are and how to check them?
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Where is the close valve and purge solenoid?
They are located on the drivers side inner fender. There are 2 valves, side by side, behind the fuse box.
Boxer54
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician