Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

96 Camry: stop leak..car started overheating..tune..new thermostat

I have a 96 Camry, the radiator was leaking last year, so my dad put a stop leak into it, which didnt work, so he replaced the radiator and flushed it. The car started overheating so I took it to a mechanic, they gave it a tune up and a new thermostat and flushed it again. The car still overheated. He told me I needed a fan relay, but I could probably pick one up at a junkyard cheaper, which I did. Both fans worked after I replaced the fan relay but the car still overheats. The mechanic disconnected the temp sensor. The car still overheats, but now I also hear the water boiling after I shut the car off in the overflow tank. Do you have any idea why its still overheating?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Let's back step a few steps here....so were the fans NOT coming on before this original issue started?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The left one was, apparently the right one wasnt
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
ok, but if you run the engine now both fans work correctly, the cooling system has proper flow and there are no external leaks correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Both fans now run, because the mechanic disconnected the temp sensor in the radiator. He said it has proper flow and no external leaks
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Yes both fans will operate when that sensor is disconnected because it causes an open circuit so the fans go into fail safe mode but that is NOT how this should have been approached. What probably happened here is the sensor on the radiator has failed (common on this car) which caused the car to run a little hot and then cracked the radiator. When you did not correc this issue immediately instead you tried to "patch" it with an additive that does not help it only clogs cooling ports you then caused hot spots in the block and head, this weakened the head gasket and so when you finally fixed the radiator and pressures were back to normal then you blew the gasket out.

What you need here is a new head gasket and a new temp sensor on the radiator.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, but there are no signs that a head gasket was blown, there's no oil in my water and no water in my oil...I have no white smoke coming out of my exhaust, and no sign of any foam like substance coming from the caps.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
That is what all my customers at work and here on this site say. That is "old school" mentality, a head gasket can blow in one of several ways, your gasket is blown. You may even have a crack on the cylinder head depending on how bad this has been overheated but a tear down/plane level check and a pressure test will also be needed before a new gasket is installed and it is put back together.