Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

99 toyota 4runner: accelerate..highway..60mph, it stays..70mph

Customer Question
my 99 toyota 4runner does...
my 99 toyota 4runner does not accelerate as it should, especially on the highway. for instance, if i want to pass a car while at 60mph, it stays at that speed for a long while as i press on the gas. i may make it to 70mph in three minutes. it sounds like it's accelerating with power, but the car doesn't move. also, i hear a light whistle or whine as i accelerate in general.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Toyota
8/6/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 7 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Is the check engine light on?

yes. it has been on for one year because the dealer scanned my truck and said i need $1200 knock sensors. are they that valuable? 2 mechanics told me it was not necessary to get new ones, more of an alert purpose....
when was the truck last scanned? The check engine light can come on for hundreds of reasons, it is very likely that new and additional codes are stored here, we really need to know what codes are in there right now......and yes knock sensors will screw with performance.
yesterday
ok, so you had codes scanned yesterday? You are confusing me here now....give me the full story here please. Are you saying that the same codes on for 1 year now or you just had it scanned for the first time yesterday after the light has been on for a year? Doe you have the code #'s?
okay, perhaps i am wrong. do technicians always scan prior to service? I have estimates and invoices. here goes:

symptoms: engine light on. engine feels like it was cutting out when i start it.
july 27 2009 - replaced 6 spark plugs, 2 ignition coils, 1 cord set, spark plug
comments - found coil and wire boots cracked and a plug cracked, due for timing belt
adams toyota

symptoms persist
july 30 2009 - code po325 knock sensor 1 circuit (bank 1 or single sensor) - toyota dealer (molle)
august 5, 2009 - code po330 knock sensor code po330 knock sensor - harrison auto

july 2010: replaced radiator, timing belt, water pump, fan clutch, radiator cap
aug 4 2010 - symptoms were those that i described to you. i asked about my transmission
aug 4 2010 - don't have scanner codes, but i have an estimate for 3 coil packs, 6 spark plugs, 1 spark plug wire set.sci-tech auto
aug. 4, 2010 - got the above done for less than estimate - auto werks
comments - transmission is slipping
same symptoms are present
comments - transmission appears to be slipping

ok, so this issue started happening (lack of power on highway) just yesterday then correct?
about 2 weeks ago when i got water pump, timing belt, etc.

that is what I was thinking from the begining but wanted to be clear.

Who did the timing belt?

Sci-Tech

ok, you got what you paid for there then.

You need to take it back to them, tell them to pull the top timing cover and reinstall the timing belt (PROPERLY THIS TIME)

anything else for me to say or do so that they know i have done my homework? what it the problem persists after the re-installation?
you said this problem happened after this repair, I work at a high volume dealer as a lead technician so a good part of my day is correcting inproperly performed "repairs" that were done at other so called "shops" by technicians that do not know what they are doing, I can say with about a 95% certainty here that what is happening here is the timing belt is 1 or more teeth off timing and this is really screwing with your ignition timing and causing the truck to severely lack power, been here and done this many times before. They did the repair and they are obligated to stand behind it, if they will not then just take it to a dealer who should have done this to begin with in the first place and you have learned your lesson, you get what you pay for and quality work comes at a price. Best of luck to you and have a good evening.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
i would like to hear from an expert who is not at a toyota shop.
see above
Toyotapro
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech