Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Toyota Sequoia: squeaking..brake pads..actual brake pedal.

Customer Question
The brakes on my 2002...
The brakes on my 2002 Toyota Sequoia (106K+ miles) makes a squeaking, airy sound when released. This is not the actual brake pads. The actual brake pedal. After depressing the brake pedal, when I release the pedal, it starts making a squeaking, airy sound. It sounds like air is being squeezed out of some tiny hole (like a gas pressure leak). My mechanic couldn't find the cause. The brakes work fine. It's just the brake pedal. Any answers would be most appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/28/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

This sounds like a leak from the brake booster.

Under the hood and right in front of the drivers position, you'll see a canister that is about the size of a stack of dinner plates.

This is the brake booster. There is a cigar diameter hose connected to the booster. Pinch it shut with a clamp or vice grip being careful not to cut or damage the hose.

If the sound goes away, the problem is confirmed, it's the booster. Don't attempt to drive the car with the hose pinched off, you won't have power brakes and the truck will be nearly impossible to stop.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you have more questions, just ask. If you feel that my response isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Dj

Would this cause the noise that is audible from inside the cabin? It's not audible from the outside of the car.

If it is the brake booster, how should it be fixed? Do I need to replace the booster?

If it's not this, any other ideas? I appreciate your help. Will definitely check this.

There is a rod that goes from the brake pedal through the firewall to the brake booster. This is where the noise is coming from (assuming it stops with the vacuum line pinched off).

The fix is to replace the booster. Pinching off the hose will confirm if it's the booster.

Dj