Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Sienna: I broke the latch on my wifes..van..release

Customer Question
I broke the latch on...
I broke the latch on my wifes Sienna van opening it. It closed but can I still get it to release?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/27/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Hello, this is a common problem on Siennas, the handle needs to be replaced, you can get the door open from the outside, look inside the small square opening where the handle release lever goes in, there is a metal release lever just inside, use a screwdriver and push down on the inside release lever this will open the door, make sure the doors are unlocked using either the remote or manual switch on the left armrest, if you need further help on how to replace the handle after the door is open let me know.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
tried or right side of hole and found nothing .on left side of hole hit something that sounds like it is locking. black release pull came out. left the side door open. stopped from locking. still not finding release.
I paid for the answer only because the manual says nothing about the rear door only the sliding. Is the release left side,right side or down the middle?? Is their a specific size screwdriver to use?? Since the hole is small and the door opening is tight the screwdriver only goes up high. maybe I am hitting too high
If there is a piece of plastic from the old door handle still attached break it completely off using a pair of pliers, this will give more room to get something in there, try making a hook from a metal coat hanger, the release lever can be seen looking up into the hole with a flashlight, pull this lever down and the door will open.
I looked inside with a light and could see what looked like a latch. but I tried and tried but could not get it to pop open. sometimes the hanger bent so I am not sure if it was hooked on the right piece. Wrong time for my sons mechanic friend to be down the beach with him. Is this a repair or body shop problem??
It's not a body shop type of repair. You have to be sure that the back door is unlocked, the lever can be kind of hard to move, I have used a screwdriver to push the lever down from the top. If the lever absolutely can't be moved the the lock actuator may be stuck.
When I tried with the screwdriver it sounded like it was relocking. thats when I left the side door open and the sound stopped. When I tried to pull down hard the hanger would bend and let go. Maybe it is stuck. So a repair shop is the way to go?? The back panel around the hole is rusted mabe from the winter weather. There is a rivet and not a screw that holds it on?? I will check with a garage in town to see if they can repair it or check with the dealer. When my sons friend comes home tomorrow I will let him look at it. Thanks for your help.
Ok, maybe the friend can help after reading my comments, since ther is some rust involved it's possible that something is stuck on the inside, the inner panel can be removed from the inside, it's a little difficult but it is doable.