Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My check engine light..replace my catalytic converter

Customer Question
My check engine light is...
My check engine light is on, and I took it to Pep Boys and they said that I need to replace my catalytic converter, and I would lose power if I don't replace it. How much it would cost to replace it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/27/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 8 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

The code stored was likely a P0420 code then.

THis was common on the older camry's.

This part is backed by a federal emission warranty for 8years/80,000 miles so if your car is still under this mileage limit then YES it would be a free repair at the dealer. If you are over this milege the converter is about $800 parts and labor installed. THis part is also built into the exhaust manifold so NO this can not be done aftermarket, the part can only be purchased from a dealer.