Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2009 Toyota Corolla S: Hard starting..faster..exhaust..serviced…

Customer Question
Please help me, I have...
Please help me, I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla S (American Spec) it is doing Hard starting and smoking. It starts faster in the morning but during the day normal use, it'll not start on time... it'll kick for some times, return, I kick it again, it kick, then start shaking and spurting out black smelly smoke from the exhaust before starting... it does not smoke when running, only at start up and the smoke is choking. I have tried many mechanic, they changed plug, diagnosed, serviced nozzles, etc yet no solution.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/27/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Boxer54, Toyota Technician replied 8 years ago
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. How many miles are on your Corolla? What color is the smoke you have? Does the check engine light come on? Do you have any diagnostic tools such as an OBD scanner and a digital voltmeter?
The mileage is about 16322 and the smoke is usually black or grey. It's smell is choky. I do not have OBD machine but the last time we scaned it, it only detected misfiring on 1,3 and 4. We changed the plugs and wiped the error.
Right from purchase, the Check engine light came on on first fuelling, it's been on there since and returns after removal. The dealer said it's because of the kind of fuel we use that the check engine keeps coming on.
Can you describe the smell a different way. I'm not sure I understand 'choky'. Where are you getting your fuel? Are you in a metro area where you have the option of seeing another dealer?
I mean the smell is not pleasant, more like carbon... I buy my fuel from filling stations, it's same fuel the entire country use. I don't have another dealer option.
Do you use the same filling station all the time, what brand, grade? These questions are meant to rule the fuel out as a possibility.
No, use several filling stations, I believe they all sell the same quality. I also do add a can of injector cleaner after every full tank. I really do not think it's the fuel.

My Mech said it is fuel pump valve, that it does not retain fuel, that the fuel returns to tank after every stop making the car to start sucking fuel on every start which causes delay. I disagree with that cos the car starts faster every morning after all-night parking and I don't see how that can cause the black smoke. Besides, it's brand new, just a year old, think it's too early for fuel pump problem.
I don't think you have an issue with the fuel going in your tank since you get fuel from different sources. However, I am a little concerned about the additive you are putting in the tank. I recommend NEVER putting any additives in your fuel, oil, transmission, etc.... Pretty much everything. Keep in mind there are cleaners already in the gasoline. With this concern, I recommend we start fresh. To do this, we need to get rid of ALL the cleaners that may be in the fuel system. What you need to do is run several tanks of high quality gas (Shell, Texaco, Exxon, etc. ) Through the car and then re-evaluate.
Yea, I got frustrated that the cleaners were not working to removing the check engine as I was told by the dealer and stopped. The dealers don't seem to know the exact cause of the problem... may have to leave the car with them next week.
So, your not adding the cleaner? How many tanks have you driven out since you stopped?
been very long, over 3 months and i use the car daily
I guess over 10 tanks or so... not too sure...
Well, then all the cleaner should be burned out. Is this something that happens on every drive, or just sometimes? How often?
Every drive. I got this reply from someone. I think the reply makes sense because before this problem, i had a nozzle lick, the mechanic changed all the nozzle rubbers and had it serviced, this problem started afterward. This is the suggestion I got:

"Although it would be super rare, it sounds like you have a leaking fuel injector flooding the engine on warm starts. (Black smoke is excess fuel) If the car has less than 36,000 miles on it the dealer will fix it for free!
Source(s):
30 years Toyota tech"
I'm going to be logging off for the night, but can you explain 'nozzle lick'? Do you mean fuel injector leak? Nozzle lick makes no sense.
fuel was leaking out and pouring into the engine through the nozzles, one of the rubber was bad.
I will assume you mean fuel injector when you say nozzle. That being said, if you had a fuel injector leaking you should have the same type symptoms you now have to some degree. If someone has already worked on the injectors, then you need to take it back and insist it be repaired correctly. It is still under warranty.