Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Camry: hybrid..the key in the car and shut the doors to walk away…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 hybrid...
I have a 2009 hybrid camry. Tonight after turning the car off I heard a one time "beep", like the beep it makes if you leave the key in the car and shut the doors to walk away. The key was not in the car. I realized that it was beeping once every 30 seconds. I went back to the car to check for warning lights, checked all the doors to make sure they were closed properly, took the car out and drove it around the block looking for any warning lights. Nothing. Back in the garage with the car off, one beep every 30 seconds. It's been doing it for nearly two hours. WHY???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/27/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

I really hate to ask this question, but are you missing a cell phone?

I have had this come up so many times and I'm always afraid of offending a client.

Dj

Good question, but the answer is No. My cellphone is in my pocket. Ditto for my husband's cellphone. My car is still beeping in the garage.

Is the sunroof open?

Dj

Nope, I tried that too. Opened and shut it just to make sure it was properly closed.

Was the sunroof open today?

It may have a faulty sensor.

Yes it was tilted open on the back as a vent but closed while driving. No alerts while driving that the roof was open or upon turning off the car. usually you get a sound and the written message saying sunroof is open.

Plus on other occasions I have left the sunroof open when the car has been parked in the garage with no beeping except as a reminder when i turned of the car. None after that.

I'm going to opt out on this one and see if somebody else has an idea of what it causing this. I'm sorry I couldn't provide a better answer.

Dj

Thanks for trying. I guess I just wait to see if I get a response from someone else?