Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

A 93hilux 2wd the engine was rebuilt recently..blows..blue smoke…

i replaced a 22r re...
i replaced a 22r re engine in a 93hilux 2wd the engine was rebuilt recently . on its first 30km driye it blows bursts of blue smoke it is graduatley getting less , is this normal ? also am not shore if the vacume hoses are conected in right places
6/27/2010
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

That's normal.

When you assemble an engine, you soak everything in oil. Pistons, rings, valves, cam everything. There reason is that when you first start a new engine, it takes a while to get oil pumping through the system.

It's just a safe way to make certain that no damage is done when the engine is run for the first time.

If it keeps up, then there's a problem.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you have more questions, just ask. If you feel that my response isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Dj

thank you for your quick response DJ.I have been told this, i did not mention the new motor used 4ltr oil over the first 800km. the person whoom rebuilt the motor had 4 mechanics look at it and could not fix it. the motor was replaced with enoghter rebuilt one, the problem persists

Yikes!!

That's a lot of oil burning.

The only external component that can cause this is the PCV valve and I doubt that the PCV could cause that much oil consumption. The simple test is to shake the PCV and if it rattles, it's good.

But then it's time to check the basics. A wet and dry compression test will determine if the rings are bad. The rings and the valve seals are the only things besides the PCV that can cause oil consumption. This will eliminate the rings as the cause.

I've gotten two bad engines from the same company before. If they didn't know how to put the first one together properly, it's likely they didn't know how to put the second engine together correctly.

Do you have a compression tester available?

Dj

Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
i can get one from a friend ,will do a test on the motor myself. You have greatley narrowed down the questions to my problem, thank you Ludie

You will need to do a dry compression test and a wet test. After you do the dry compression test, write down the number.

Then squirt about a tablespoon of engine oil into each cylinder. The do another (wet) compression test. If there is a significant difference, then the rings are bad. If there's not that much difference, then I would expect the valve seals to be either installed incorrectly, or not installed at all.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks for accepting and for the feedback.

Dj

Hi DJ, my motor is now working again.The engine was brought from a wrecker whom in the end took the head of and proppably instaled the valve seals. This took 5 weeks and a lott of my pacients. will stay away from motor wrecker in future for engins anyway. thank you once again Ludie;