Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Loss of power when trying to accelerate

Customer Question
loss of power when trying to accelerate
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/26/2010
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john
john, The Car Guy
is the engine light on?
Yes. I checked at a local auto parts store, the hooked it up to a computer tool and they say it could be the fuel regulator. I replaced the O2 sensor about a year ago. I went to an out repair shop. They said it could be the fuel pump or fuel filter or catalitic converter.
can you tell me the diagnostic code?
No, I did not get that information, sorry. They clerk used a hand held diagnostic tool so I did not get to see what was on the small screen.

if you can get me that i can help you pin point the issue

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.

The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes."

I have not had that time to get the information you requested so you can give me an answer that I can then accept. As soon as I can get the fault code I will reply and wait for your answer.
ok ill hang in there and help you till the end