Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I depress the brake pedal it goes down wiyh the engine on.I..kit…

Customer Question
when i depress the brake...
when i depress the brake pedal it goes down wiyh the engine on.I changed the brake booster, wheelcylinders and the front calipper kit, it still goes down. what is the problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/26/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

sorry that no one has helped you before now. If you are still needing help, I just need to know a few more things:

Was the pedal going to the floor before the brake work?

Are the bleeder screws on the calipers below or above where the brake hose connects to the caliper- in other words are they towards the bottom or top of the caliper?

Does this have abs?

It was so BEFORE THE BRAKE WORK, that is why i did that work,without abs. the bleeder is on top of the calibers.

Ok,

We are going to need to do a brake line clamp test to isolate were pressure is lost. You will need several brake hose clamps or several pairs of vise grips(if you use these, make sure to wrap the ends with old cloth to prevent damage to the rubber brake hoses.

Place a clamp about midway on each of the brake hoses at the wheels. Now with engine running, test pedal. It should be nice and firm. If it isnt, then the new master cylinder is defective.

If it is firm, then starting at the rear, remove one brake clamp at a time and test the pedal. At whichever wheel you remove a clamp and the pedal drops, then that is where the problem is - bad caliper/wheel cylinder or brake hose that is kinked or looped.

Repair as necessary

I just solved it, the booster is detective