Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

my rack and pinion power steering assembly replaced..drove…

Customer Question
I just had my rack...
I just had my rack and pinion power steering assembly replaced after hearing a ratteling sound and when I got the car back as soon as I drove it I heard the same noise. They looked at it and said it was a broken sway bar. My question is did they mis diagnos the problem costing me over a thousand dollars? Also they said the tie rod was floppy at one side and should be stiff. Is that true?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/25/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Ironmike, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech

greetings,

Sounds like it to me. If the fix for the rattle was the rack and then they say a loose tie rod end (if floppy it is most likely too loose)and sway bar link I would be upset too. Since they have issues with safety I would demand the money for the rack assembly back, ask for the service director and or owner. I would tell them you will sue, they know they will lose. Courts almost always favor the customer in auto repair cases. You can even call Toyota customer service. Calling does work.

good luck

Thanks for the quick response, although I didn't have the work done at Toyota, it was done at a local mechanic. So you're saying the tie rods should not have much play?

yes, if they feel loose at all I would recommend replacing. You can still ask for the money back and take to small claims court. You will get some if not all back.

Most shops know this from experience. Even if you do not want aggravation you can bargain and ask for paying just cost on parts and no labor.

when I worked in and independent shop we would offer that if we misdiagnosed the vehicle. It saves putting old parts back and less repairs in the future for the customer.

If they will do that let me know on parts cost and I will check pon them for you.

did they use a re manufactured rack and pinion?

I will find out tomorrow, I left the car there for them to look at in the morning. Can I ask you then?

yes you may

good luck

The service manager offered to not charge for the sway bar saying it is a $300 job. I said if he took off $200 more it would be the same as 1/2 and 1/2 on the rack and pinion job. Does that sound unreasonable. He didn't want to do that and offered to put the old rack back on the car.

The labor for the rack is 5 hrs and the rack from toyota 800-900, he must have gotten a reman for half. Sounds like you do not want the court date, 500 is reasonable. I say push for the 500 and remind him this is much easier than court and he would lose.(again he knows this) sway bar link toyota is 73$ (he probably paid 35$)and .3 hrs labor

good job

Edited by Ironmike on 6/26/2010 at 7:00 PM EST
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech
Hey, thanks for yoyur help Mike
you are most welcome.