Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1990 tercel: The car has 102,000 miles and is..1000 miles…

Customer Question
I ahve a 1990 tercel...
I ahve a 1990 tercel 1500 now 2 barrel weber carburated The car has 102,000 miles and is outwardly in really nice sahpe for its age. Mecahnically it wasn't taken care of after much work and a lot of $$ it seems to run real well. My issue is that after 1000 miles it has started to burn a lot of oil. On start up it blows smoke (blue). In a case of acceleration it will really leave a blue cloud. Is this a head issue or a bottom end issue? does it make a difference if i just drive it and add oil when necessary? I have invested enough money into this car that I intend to drive it another 1/4 million miles or so. The car is so simple and uncomplicated that I felt putting money into it as opposed to buying a neer car was a much better idea. Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/25/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for requesting me.

The problem is the valve seals. When the car sits, the oil weeps past the valve seals while the car sits. So when you first start it up, it burns the oil off.

When decelerating, the increased engine vacuum does the same thing, it sucks engine oil past the valve seals, burns it and causes the smoke.

The consequences are reduced spark plug life, maybe some excessive carbon build up on the pistons and the cylinders and increased pollution.

The good news is that you don't even have to pull the cylinder head off to fix this. It's still a fair amount of work, but not like putting in rings.

What engine number is XXXXX?

Dj

Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
I need to be at home to get the VIN number. Does this make a difference? It was orginally carburated with that wonderfull non servicable unit. It has no accessories

Just wanted to know the engine designation, like 4AF.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Dj