Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Diagram..the balancer shafts and the other..DOHC..gears..cylinder head…

Customer Question
I need a timing diagram...
I need a timing diagram for the 3RZ 2700i Hilux busy assembling the motor there are two timing chains one for the balancer shafts and the other for the DOHC how must the markings on the gears line up and do you need to replace the big end nuts when doing the new motor? The cylinder head bolts are strech bolts what is the acceptable length do I need to replace them when doing an engine overhaul?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
6/27/2010
Toyota Mechanic: david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic replied 8 years ago
david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

I would recommend replacing the head bolts because they are torqued to yield and may brake if reused. You should also replace the big end nuts just because they have been used and could back off causing engine damage.

How to a line the timing marks.

With No.1 cylinder at TDC of the compression stroke and the weights of the balance shafts at the bottom, install the balance shaft chain and sprockets using care to align all of the timing marks
graphic

Align the camshaft gear timing mark between the marked links on the timing chain, then align the timing mark on the crankshaft gear with its marked link on the chain. Wire the chain together under the gear to keep it from coming off when the head is installed.
graphic

Here is the install instructions.
To install:
  1.  

2. Install the No. 4 vibration dampener.
  3. Install the No. 2 timing chain, No. 2 crankshaft timing sprocket, balance shaft drive gear and shaft as follows:
    1. Install the No. 2 chain by matching the marked links with the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and balance shaft timing sprocket.
    2. Fit the other marked link of the No. 2 chain onto the sprocket behind the large timing mark of the balance shaft gear.
    3. Insert the balance shaft gear shaft through the balance shaft drive gear so that it fits into the thrust plate hole. Align the small timing mark of the balance shaft drive gear with the timing mark of the balance shaft timing gear.
    4. Install the bolt to the balance shaft gear and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    5. Check each timing mark is matched with the corresponding XXXXX XXXXXnk.

1. Install the No. 2, No. 3 vibration dampers and the No. 2 chain tensioner, as follows:

NOTE: Assemble the chain tensioner with the pin installed, then remove the pin after assembly.

1. Install the No. 2 chain tensioner with the nut, tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
    2. Install the No. 3 damper with the bolts, tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
    3. Install the No. 2 damper, tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
    4. Remove the pin from the No. 2 chain tensioner and free the plunger.
  2. On the 2RZ-FE engines, install the oil jet and crankshaft position sensor rotor. Make sure the front mark of the cavity of the rotor is facing forward.
  3. Install the No. 1 timing chain tensioner slipper and the No. 1 vibration damper.
    1. Install the No. 1 damper, tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
    2. Install the slipper, tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
    3. Check that the slipper moves smoothly.
  4. Install the crankshaft timing gear.
  5. Install the No. 1 timing chain and camshaft timing gear.
    1. Align the timing mark between the marked link of the No. 1 timing chain, and install the No. 1 timing chain to the gear.
    2. Align the timing mark of the crankshaft timing gear with the mark of the No. 1 timing chain, then install the No. 1 timing chain.
    3. Tie the No. 1 chain with a wire or cord, make sure it does not come loose.
  6. Install the timing chain cover assembly.
    1. Remove the old cover gaskets and install new gaskets.
    2. Slide the cover assembly over the dowels and the pump spline. Tighten the following:
        • 12mm A bolts — 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
        • 12mm B bolts — 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
        • 14mm bolts — 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm)
        • 14mm nut — 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)

Timing cover fastener identification
graphic

Hope this helps
Good luck
david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Hi David, please could you also give me the torques for the fly wheel of the same motor.

Kind regards
Hugo
Hi the fly wheel bolts should be torqued to 65 foot pounds
Hi David,

I phoned the agents today they say the fly wheel bolts must be 26.5 n.M and 90 deg.

Is that equal to 65 ft Pound?

Regards
Hugo
yes roughly a lot of times manuals will say a lower foot pounds then tell you to add 90 deg. Because not all torque wrenches are right. This is just a easier way to get the right torque.
Hi David,

have you by chance got the specs for a Deutz 4FL912 motor I need to assemble this one and I need all the bolt spec etc.

Kind regards
Hugo Kohne