Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

how do I change my 04 camryrear struts.

Customer Question
how do I change my 04 camryrear struts.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/25/2010
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john
john, The Car Guy

here ya go

Rear Strut Assembly

SHOCK ABSORBER LH
REPLACEMENT

1. REMOVE REAR WHEEL
  2. REMOVE REAR SEAT CUSHION ASSY
  3. REMOVE REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY RH
  4. REMOVE REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY LH HINT: Remove the LH side by the same procedures with the RH side.
  5. REMOVE ROOF SIDE GARNISH INNER RH
  6. REMOVE ROOF SIDE GARNISH INNER LH HINT: Remove the LH side by the same procedures with the RH side.
  7. REMOVE CENTER STOP LAMP ASSY
  8. REMOVE PACKAGE TRAY TRIM PANEL ASSY
  9. REMOVE REAR SEAT 3 POINT TYPE BELT ASSY OUTER

1. SEPARATE REAR STABILIZER LINK ASSY LH
    1. Remove the nut and disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the shock absorber. HINT: If the ball joint turns together with the nut, use a hexagon (5 mm) wrench to hold the stud.
  1. REMOVE REAR SHOCK ABSORBER WITH COIL SPRING

1. Remove the 2 bolts, disconnect the flexible hose and ABS speed sensor wire harness from shock absorber.

1. Loosen the 2 nuts on the lower side of the shock absorber. HINT: Do not remove the 2 bolts.
  2. Support the rear axle carrier with a jack.
  3. Remove the rear suspension support No. 1 cover LH.

1. Loosen the suspension support center nut. NOTICE: Do not remove the nut. HINT: If not disassembling the rear shock absorber, it is not necessary to loosen the nut.

1. Remove the 3 nuts of the suspension support.
  2. Lower the rear axle carrier and remove the 2 nuts and bolts on the lower side of the shock absorber.
  3. Remove the shock absorber with the coil spring.

1. Install 2 nuts and a bolt to the bracket at the lower part of the shock absorber, and secure it in a vise.

1. Using SST, compress the coil spring. SST 09727-30021 NOTICE: Do not use an impact wrench. It will damage the SST.
  2. Remove the nut, collar and suspension support.
  3. Remove the coil spring, spring bumper and lower insulator.

1. INSPECT SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY REAR LH
    1. Compress and extend the shock absorber rod, and check that there is no abnormal resistance or unusual operation sound. If there is any abnormality, replace the shock absorber with a new one. NOTICE: When disposing the shock absorber, see DISPOSAL.
  1. INSTALL SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY REAR LH

1. Install the spring bumper.
  2. Install the lower insulator, as shown in the illustration.

1. Install the coil spring to the shock absorber. HINT:
    • Fit the lower end of the coil spring into the gap of the lower seat.
    • Check that the 2 flat faces of the piston rod are positioned in parallel with the 2 flat faces of the rear suspension support.

1. Align the suspension support with the shock absorber lower bracket, as shown in the illustration. HINT: Set the suspension support so that the ribbed part of the suspension support faces out side.

1. Install the collar to the piston rod.
  2. Temporarily install a new nut.
  3. Remove the SST. SST 09727-30021 HINT: After removing SST, recheck the direction of the suspension support.

1. Install the shock absorber with the coil spring and 3 nuts. Torque: 39 Nm (400 kgf-cm, 29 ft. lbs.)

1. Install the shock absorber with the coil spring, 2 bolts and nuts. Torque: 255 Nm (2,600 kgf-cm, 188 ft. lbs.) HINT: Keep the bolt fixed while tightening the nut.

1. Install the flexible hose and ABS speed sensor wire harness with the 2 bolts. Torque: A: Flexible hose: 19 Nm (194 kgf-cm, 14 ft. lbs.) B: ABS speed sensor wire harness: 5.5 Nm (56 kgf-cm, 49 inch lbs.)

1. Tighten the nut in the center of suspension support. Torque: 49 Nm (500 kgf-cm, 36 ft. lbs.) HINT: If the shock absorber has not been disassembled, it is necessary to torque the nut.
  2. Install the rear suspension support No. 1 cover LH.

1. INSTALL REAR STABILIZER LINK ASSY LH
    1. Install the stabilizer bar link to the shock absorber with the nut. Torque: 39 Nm (400 kgf-cm, 29 ft. lbs.) HINT: If the ball joint turns together with the nut, use a hexagon (5 mm) wrench to hold the stud.
  1. INSTALL REAR SEAT 3 POINT TYPE BELT ASSY OUTER
  2. INSTALL REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY RH
  3. INSTALL REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY LH HINT: Install the LH side by the same procedures with the RH side.
  4. INSTALL REAR WHEEL Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)
  5. INSPECT REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT

DISPOSAL

1. DISPOSE SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY REAR LH
    1. Fully extend the shock absorber rod.
    2. Using a drill, make a hole in the cylinder as shown in the illustration to discharge the gas inside. CAUTION:
      • When drilling, chips may fly out, work carefully.
      • The gas is colorless, odorless and non-poisonous.

© 2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use