Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

92 Toyota 4Runner: assembly..automatic trans..SR5, V6-auto…

Customer Question
I'm looking for help in...
I'm looking for help in obtaining an email/download or hard copy mailing of the assembly/disassembly of an automatic trans for a '92 Toyota 4Runner, SR5, V6-auto. I had posted a question/request several weeks ago but have not gotten the help I need.
Specifically, I have bought a full rebuild kit from TransStar, in Calif. It has new steels, bearings, 'O'rings, seals, etc.,.... I tore down the tranny over one month ago and have (on good weather day offs-I'm working on a bench in my driveway) begun some direct replacement of worn parts for new. Unfortunately, I have lost the memory of how the shaft/parts arrangement and sub assemblies are reassembled. About six months, or so ago, I used just answers to tear down and rebuild my Dodge Ram 4X4 5spd. A mechanic provided me with a 'step by step' (several download links emailed to me) and with little problem I successfully got her back on the road. I'm looking for the same type of help with my boy's 4Runner. Again, I haven't had the same good fortune, so far but am very hopeful based on the excellent help I had gotten those months ago. Thanks in advance, Walt.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 8 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech

Walt-

The information you are asking for would be a copyright infringement if anyone were to post all that to you, I can tell you where you can access the information but we cannot directly load that to you in this format, the other expert that last helped you I show to be banned from the site now so he is not going to be able to post to you.

Hi Pete,

I believe he has/had access to something similar to Mitchel's online mech tech site but it wasn't Mitchel's, as I can access that myself. The emails he'd sent were PDF files(?) in an email that I opened and printed out. There was no page ref or printing at the header or base of the page, so I don't know where the info came from. I know they printed out 'full size' (8 1/2 X 11), so my guess is that it was a factory manual. Copyright concerns I cannot say and am sorry if that caused his probs but it helped me emensly. I have both the Haynes and Chiltons manuals and they are useless. As I'd indicated, I've already broken it down into sub assemblies and components but can nolonger remember the reassembly sequence. Further, I was able to remove all parts to even include the snap ring at the bottom of the 'center' section of the trans. I've figured out how to use a 'pipe in a pipe' to reinstall the new one and begin 'building out' from there but I might be missing some steels and abrasive plates from the rebuild kit I bought and with the different shaft sections cannot rethink what shaft, with how many steel packs and where the next snap ring goes before further 'building out'. The refernce you have, if readily accessable, might help if it has the detail I need but I'm on Maui and would have to buy, ship and wait for a manual. I could have tried Evilbay for a Toyota tranny manual but I don't even know if they have one or if it would be worth the expense, as I'm doing the work myself to SAVE costs. Further, it would be a one time use and I'd be 'burned' with a useless book. If there is a factory teardown/reassemble book avail from the tranmission manufacturer, that a 'retail' person could buy, that might be worth the cost, as there might/would be other trans's from the MFG that I might work on down the road.

Well, I'm sorry for the long read and want to say thanks. I'm really in need of detailed info, that so far, I've been unable to source. LMK if you have suggestions and by all means, if you can actually provide the help. I appreciate your time, Walt.

Pete,

I have an appointment to get to at 1500, so I'll not be able to see your return note until tonight. I'm not sure where you are but Hawaii is 3 hours BEHIND California, so my resonse to you will come about 1800+/- my time-add however many hours where you are. You might not read my reply until tomorrow but I WILL get back to you. Thanks again for your help, Walt.

Walt, I have looked at my copy of the FACTORY manual for this truck as well, they go into detail on this transmission as well as several parts of it including valve body overhaul but unfornutely there is no complete tear down and overhaul instructions for this on the factory manual......toyota did not start to publish this until later years however these transmissions were used until the late 90's. if you can tell me exactly which transmission you have I can further research this for you, if you look on the door jam sticker they should have a listing for this, for example an A340E, A340F or A340H should be listed for this truck....

Hi again, Pete,

The tranny is an A340H. Walt

Walt-

I have looked at all of the mauals today and there is not complete tear down manual from toyota on this unit.

I can tell you however that Aisin-Werner is who manufactures this transmission, maybe you can find something online with that ......