Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

my check engine light came on several weeks..dealership

Customer Question
my check engine light came...
my check engine light came on several weeks ago and I took my car in to have it looked at at the dealership - they told me this: "Troubleshoot complaint, fault code 90110, P0402, P1411, Will need exhaust gas recirculation valve assembly replaced ($471.56), may need to replace intake air temp sensor as well ($260.00), air temp sensor may be salvageable but very often are seized." I don't have the kind of money necessary to pay for these repairs and was wondering how to do them myself?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/24/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Toyotapro, ASE master tech replied 8 years ago
Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

You can purchase the parts yourslef online if you wish to save a little $$$ on parts, there are a few dealers that sell at wholesale cost online such as www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com and yes there is a 50/50 chance that the temp sensor will be seized when that is removed to be switched over.

The actual EGR valve is not bad to change, there are just a few 10mm nuts that hold the valve to the throttle body and the EGR tube.

Ok, well, that sort of helps...what I was asking though was more HOW to do it myself.....?

HOW to do it yourself requires only a 10mm wrench and a deep 10mm socket.

Follow the EGR pipe down to where it connects to the exhaust manifold, loosen the 2 nuts here so the pipe will be able to move, then follow the pipe up and disconnect it from the EGR valve. THen remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the EGR valve to the intake and swap it over for the new one. Be sure the engine is COLD when you do this repair.

where exactly is the IAT sensor located on a 1999 Camry XLE 6 cyl?

The IAT sensor is the intake air temperature sensor....that is part of the mass air flow sensor which is the sensor that is on the air filter box.

The sensor that they todl you may "seize" is the one that is for the egr temperature which is on the EGR valve, completely seperate parts and sensors.

I know you know more about this stuff than I do, but I don't think that's right, because if you look at the fault codes they got: "Troubleshoot complaint, fault code P0110, P0402, P1411" 2 of them are EGR related and 1 is very specifically Intake Air Temp Sensor related... I looked up the codes...

Yes I do know a lot about this stuff but I do not need to look the codes up, I have been doing this for over a decade and I know what each code stands for.

The 0402 and the 1411 codes are both related to the EGR valve system which does indeed justify a valve replacement and we do see this commonly on your car in the v6 version.

The 0110 code is as you stated the IAT sensor which is BUILT INTO THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR on top of the air filter box, it looks like this:

graphic

When you get this code it is usually either a loose connector at the sensor or the sensor is internally damaged, this is just help in place with 2 screws and anyone can change it.