Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla. I hear a loud rattling sound…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 Toyota...
I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla. I hear a loud rattling sound underneath the car when accelerating and at certain RPMs. It started only at high RPMs, but now it's at different levels. Dealer says it is the heat shield on the catalytic converter, and they want to replace the entire cat (they say that you can't just replace the shield). Other independent shops have suggested I just remove the shield. What's your opinion? Is there another option, like using hose clamps as I've heard described in other online forums?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/24/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question.

The heat shield is essential. It cannot be removed.

Replacing the cat is unnecessary.

I've used large hose clamps and solved the problem for a few bucks. If fact it was a factory recommended repair from one of the manufacturers. Any auto parts store has radiator hose clamps. You will need the biggest that they have and you will need to put a couple together to go all the way around the cat, but it works.

This is hard to do only because it's hard to get under the car. If you jack up the car, be sure do do it safely, use jack stands. Otherwise any independent shop or muffler shop can do this.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you have more questions, just ask. If you feel that my response isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Dj

I'm uncertain if a hose clamp will work on this cat, and I don't really know what it looks like. IS there a way to track down the kind of part number that my year and make of car would use? Hoping that would tell me if the clamp approach would work.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for the part number for the cat or the hose clamps?

Dj

Part number for the cat.

I will need the last 8 digits of your vehicle identification number (VIN) to get the part number for the cat.

Dj

VC199138

There are two different cats available, but the most common is 18450-16670.

It will look like this:

Catalytic Converter 90 91 92 93 TOYOTA COROLLA ALL NEW

The dark metal is the cat itself, the silver metal is the heatshield.

This is a picture I acquired from Ebay.

Dj

Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks!!

You are very welcome. Good luck.

Dj