Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Toyota Prius: accessory..jump start..battery pack..cannot start…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Toyota...
I have a 2004 Toyota Prius and today it seems that the accessory battery has failed. I can jump start it according to the instructions and I find that the battery pack is in tact and showing about 60 to 70 % charged. But I cannot start the car. I read that this battery is a standard 12v car battery, but I d not see instructions for replacing it. Is this something that I can do without taking it to the dealership? If so, is there a document that will show me how and how can I obtain it?
thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/23/2010
Toyota Mechanic: Boxer54, Toyota Technician replied 8 years ago
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. This is a 12 Volt battery, but is a VERY specific application and will need to be purchased from your dealer. The battery is located in the rear cargo area and does require some trim removal. I can help walk you through its removal if you'd like to tackle this battery replacement.